Need Advice Please On Qt........

Guest Jennie

Guest Jennie

Hi all,

New to this forum :D I have had GF for yrs. outside in my ponds. Have had pretty good luck with them so far. I have just bought 5 single tailed 4" long calico colored GF & really want to add them to our 1100 pond soon. They were just bought Sat. & have them setup in a 86 gallon QT with heater set at 76, black media box (pond style), with 2 filter pads, little gaint pond pump & fountain head & 2 sm mesh bags with bio-balls in them. Tank only has 1 big log cave for hiding. Bare bottom & tank has been all cycled since last fall.

My question is, should I do or add anything in this tank to rid them from any nasties ? I know one looks slighly un-healthy , but , not bad. All are active & the only thing is with this one fish. I just seen 1 small white dot on back of tail (think gone today) & it's scales look to be ever so slighly sticking out. Not sure if this is just how I'm looking at the fish or a start of dropsy ?? I just want to make 100% sure these fish are safe before I move them to our 1100 gallon pond where it gets much harder to treat them out there ! I will give it 6 weeks before moving.

Please any advice here. In the past all I did was watch in the QT for weeks & if nothing showed up, then they were sent outside. I just want to make sure this time , because , the pond is much bigger then before !!

Thanks much,

Jennie :D

whenever I qt new fish I add 3 tbsp of salt(aquarium, kosher, sea salt, as long as it is just salt with nothing added to it) for ever 5 gal of water. Add the salt over a few day period of 2 tbs of salt every 12 hours until you have added it all. This will give you a .3% salt solution in your tank and help take care of any nasties your fish may have like ich or parasites. You will also need to add more salt when you do water changes. If you do a 5 gal water change add 3 tbs of salt. Hope this helps and good luck with your new fish:)

Guest Jennie

OK, I read to add salt 3 X over a 12 hour period (KoiVet). This would be like add salt (I have aquarium or pond salt) wait 12 hours & add more salt, do this 3 times ? No water changes after for how long ? I'm just so afraid of over doing something & that be bad. How much again if doing this method ? Salt won't build up & burn gills or anything ? Will this take care of most parasites ? What about internal ones ? How long to leave salt in the tank till I do a water change ? Have been doing changes about every 2 weeks in the 86 gallons & I do about 50%. Can I leave all this salt in for that long ?

Thanks much,

Jennie :)

Archived