Betta 911

smack536

yesterday, alvin, my betta jumped out of his little tank, and took quite a nasty fall into dust bunnies, sheets of wood, and old carpet. we found him not long after, very still, i thought he was dead. then he started to wiggle when i picked him up.

so i dumped him back in his bowl, and he laid on the bottom for most of the night. now when i got home today, i looked at him, and he ahs a big white, fuzzy looking patch of open skin/no scales on his side, his fins are falling off in chunks, and he looks like he may be comming down with dropsy, his scales are starting to stick out a bit :(

Im panicking, and need help. i took pix of him and theyre uploading now.

Please help!!! :cry1

:( Oh man Smack that sounds pretty bad. The stress from the fall,and being out of the water has surely caused it. Is his tank water clean? Do you have a heater on it? Do you happen to have anyMaracyn/ MaracynII in the house?

here are the pix of him....another is still uploading.

his side with the sore

Picture212.jpg

from above, sore and pinecone-y

Picture209.jpg

close up of his tail fin

Picture214.jpg

devs, hes in one of those little square tanks with the little teeny filter and light. only a gallon or so. i turned off the filter since he couldnt stay upright in teh current, he got sucked onto the intake (i have it covered in fleece stuff so it didnt hurt him)

i do have a heater, but its too big for there i think, and i have maracyn 1, like 2 pills left. obviously i cant get it today.

i changed his water today, since hes not eating, and mom fed him his normal portion of worms, they wre just kinda rotting there.

should i move him to a big tank, and heat it??

What's the temp in the little tank? I think we need to get him stable and calm.He's had a real shock being out of the water along with his injuries. Keep his light off for now,that may help calm him down. Okay,some people will use Melafix.If you want to use this,be very careful-keep an eye on the little guy,& use at half strength. Or you can start the Maracyn.It treats for the fin & tail rot,and any secondary infections. Are you able to get Maracyn II tomorrow morning,Hun?That's for the Dropsy part. The thing we have to do is calm his stress,keep him warm,and start treating for Dropsy. When your mom fed him,did he eat anything at all? I'm going to warn you and tell you that Dropsy is very hard to deal with in Betta's,but there's always a chance-

his tank is room temp, pretty chilly, since mom keeps it like the arctic in here. i actually dont own a thermometer :unsure:

i have the light off, he just has the light from the windows.

I would prefer not to use melafix, last time i tried it on him, he got really sickly.

how do i use the maracyn in such a small tank? like, half a pill?

i can get the maracyn 2 tomorrow morning, i pass lots of petstores on my way to work.

he didnt touch his worms :( he only comes up to get some air.

i lost my last betta to dropsy, i posted for help on here too late :(

His water needs to be around 80 degrees,Hun.Do a 100 % water change.If you just did one,then that's fine -just get that food out of there. Take one Maracyn tablet,and dissolve it in 10 tsp.'s of water.Then take one full tsp,and add to a gal. container of water.I use milk jugs. Tomorrow,when you get Maracyn II,do the same thing.One tablet dissolved into ten tsps. of water. For day one,you want to add 2 Tsp.'s of Maracyn II to a gal. of water,then through days 2 through 5,just one tsp. aday.Feed sparingly. I'd be lost without a thermometer!! I'm terrible for guessing temps. We need to figure out a way to warm his tank Hun.Do you happen to have a heating pad?

Guest Chishower

I had the same exact thing happen from the same tank. By the time I found him his fins were crispy...

All I did was keep his water clean and add a little bit of anti-fungus stuff to keep his wounds from getting infected and he is still alive today. Don't try to feed him for a few days, just keep his water perfect. Bettas can take an awful lot of abuse. Granted, he might not be as pretty as before, but he should be ok.

Mine even had the same type of soar, but it was on his head and now he is blind in one eye. Just another reason to keep those tanks covered.

Good luck! :heart

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your little guy! :crp I don't really have any suggestions that haven't already been mentioned but I really hope he gets better! Keep us updated!

alright, i have a heating pad, it should go under his tank?

i was thinking, would it be easier to move him to a 10 gallon and heat it and treat the whole thing with maracyn? or would the move be too stressful on him?

hes not looking any better, still hasnt eaten (ive been offering him 1 worm every now and then, and he never responded) he very pale now. his face is mostly white :unsure:

mmmm...That's a tough call. The heating pad,you really have to watch.The one time that I used it,I wrapped a towel around it and sat the little tank on top of it,and kept it at low.It was winter and maybe that helped,because it just made the tank warm enough.In truth,a ten gal. could use a regular heater,and be far safer,and the temps more consistent-especially if you aren't going to be around all day to watch him. You know your schedule better than I do,so think about it.I just worry that it may/may not stress him out even more. :unsure:

do you think i could put his whole little bowl into a filled 10 gallon so his water heats with the water in the 10?? and just let him swim out on his own? maybe less stressful, im not home at all during the days, so i couldnt watch a heating pad, and moms not home either. :unsure:

:o Good idea Hun! I think that's safer than the heating pad to tell you the truth,but sometimes desperate times call for desperate attentions! I just think the big move just may be more than he can handle right now. I'm really pulling for the little guy!!! :heart Go for it!

I hope he pulls through Smack! And I really like the idea of setting his bowl in the 10 gallon too. That should be alot less stressful than having to catch him to move him again and I'm sure it will be easier for you to treat. Let us know how it goes.

Guest yabbie

Yes, putting his bowl in the heated 10 gallon is a great idea. His immune system will be down from not being kept at tropical temps.

There's a great site called Betty Splendens, they have a good disease section and say that a lot of crispy jumped Bettas make a full recovery.

Good luck

His face looks a lot like my new betta, Orchard. He's having troubles too, but I think he's going to make it. I hope Alvin gets better soon...Me and Orchard's thoughts are with you :)

Please post soon..I've been watching this thread since last night and I want to know how he is....

well, things arent looking so good right now...his side and where his tail/fins are torn up are fuzzy...hes got a nice quarter inch of white fur on his side :( im gonna dig up a 10 gal tonite, i have one extra, but its a leaker, so im gonna have to figure something out maybe put a garbage bag in it?

one more stupid question...i got the maracyn and maracyn 2 mixed up...which one is the small yellow pills and which one is the larger white ones?

Archived