Blackmoor Problems

Guest zero33

Guest zero33

Each of my goldfish's eyes have different problems. One of them is misshaped. It's sort of sunken in near the front, and there's a large bump protruding from it near the back. This eye has been like this for a while, so maybe it was like that since he was born. The other eye has a bright red streak in it near the bottom of it. The streak appeared just this morning. The tank is 15 gallons, nearly a year old, has an 150 gph aquaclear filter, and houses the goldfish, a platy, and an otto algae eater. The ph is 7.4, ammonium is 0, nitrite is 0, and nitrate is around 20-25. I change half the water once a week. The goldfish is acting normal, he's eating, swimming around, and I think he can still see (he follows me around the tank) I don't think he could have injured his eyes on something in the tank, as there's nothing sharp in the tank, no rocks or driftwood, just some plants. Any ideas whats causing this?

It is hard to say what the problem is with your goldfish's eyes, however, what I would suggest is to do a 50% water change & rinse out your filter material in tank water. Then add 15 teaspoons of salt to the tank. Use aquarium, coarse, pickling, kosher or sea salt. Basically a salt without any additives. Dissolve the salt in tank water before adding. (1 teaspoon of salt per gallon will give you a 0.1% salt solution which is a tonic for goldfish and will help with healing)

Please keep me posted on your fish's progress and. :welcome

• 3 weeks later...
Guest zero33

Well, I added the salt and did the water changes, and now the red streak in the goldfish's one eye is pretty much gone (there's still a little red color left, but hopefully it'll go away) the other eye is still the same, which leads me to believe that he either injured it in the tank or he was born with one misshapen eye. in any case, the goldfish can see fine, so I don't think there's anything now that is a cause for concern

Archived