Egg Troubles...

Guest danxxx

Guest danxxx

Hello, my new black moor has been passing reabsorbed eggs (yes, that's definitely what was wrong). I just wonder whether anyone can tell me how often this happens. Does it happen every month (or however often goldfish have their 'period')? Or if not, then what normally happens?

The other thing I'm wondering about is why might it be that she's spending so much time today 'eating' bubbles. I don't think she's really eating them; it looks more like she's gulping them then burping them back up. But at 1st glance you'd think she's snapping at them. Do goldfish do this much? Why? Thanks as always!

Guest danxxx

Oops, I forgot; I had one more question. I just read that the Stresscoat I'm using isn't great cause the aloe coates the fish's gill? What are some better dechlorinators to use. I'm in England. Does anyone know a few that my neighborhood fish shop might have? Is it ok to go on using the Stresscoat in the meantime, as I'm having to change some water daily right now while the tank cycles? Any advice as to minimize the bad effect while I'm having to use it? Thanks!!!

eerr... I use stress coat exclusivly! 0.0 I havnt had a problem yet, but I'll wait till the goldie guru's get here..

on the bubbles... I dont know for SURE, but my theory is that goldies are scavangers, and from below, bubbles look like tasty bugs. my guy Sharky eats them all the time.. then floats for hours.... (upsets his SBD)

She could be trying to get extra air; what kind of filtration and how many gals does she have? I have a filter that I need to buy a second one for my tank because it's not up to the gallons per hour for my tank, which is 10 times the gallons you have. You could add an aerator setup. It could very well be what Magickzzl said though.

About the reabsorbing eggs, since your doing water changes for the cycle, the water your adding may be warmer than the water in your tank currently and may be stimulating her to make eggs, but since there isn't a male she has to reabsorb them. Just an idea.

Guest danxxx

Wow, ok so does that mean that because there's no male, she'll always be reabsorbing eggs? How often does this happen? Do fish have a monthly period just like women? Regarding the water temperature, I don't actually use a thermometer or anything, but I do dip my finger in to make sure the new water feels the same as the tank water.

Which reminds me...I always worry when I have to put my finger in the water, that germs from my skin will harm the fish. Do I need to worry about this? I don't do it unless I really have to, and I rinse my hands under the tap first. What about Stresscoat? Does anyone know really whether the stuff is good or not?

Thanks!!

Hi, I'm sure I posted earlier today but it must have disappeared.

Lots of people use Stresscoat and are very happy with the product. I use Prime (and am very happy with it) and Prime also contains aloe. I really don't think it is a major issue or we would all be having gill problems. ;)

I honestly don't know how often goldfish spawn but it is seasonal. Usually triggered by dramatic changes in temperature. Some females seem to be forever laying eggs while others may just be once a year. I hope for your moors sake she only does it once a year.

Just because she is having problems this time doesn't necessarily mean she will have problems next time. There may be other health issues that have contributed to her problem but now you can make sure she has a healthy environment it will make a heap of difference.

Archived