Is My Fish Dying?

Guest CountryMom

Guest CountryMom

What happened was my daughter's goldfish jumped out of its tank about a week ago. No one knows how long it was on the floor. My step daughter found the fish and poked it a few times and it didn't move at all so we thought it was dead.

The goldfish is way to big to flush so we decided to put it back in the tank until we decided what to do with it.

My step daughter literally peeled the fish from the carpet it was so stuck. When she put him back into the tank it sunk to the bottom like a rock then a few hours later started swimming again - but stupidly. it has been swimming into the tank, not realizing there are walls there. It also will not eat anything. It hasn't eaten anything since the whole thing happened. A fish that is always hungry seems to not know what do do with the food.

Also, the fish is looking really bad. It looks like his fins are rotting and the side that was peeled from the carpet is looking pretty bad now too. It also has an open wound behind a gill where a fin should be.

What I need to know is if this fish is going to make it or die from this or if there is something we can do to help the poor thing.

Any information anyone has on goldfish would be greatly appreciated.

CountryMom

Oh my, that is awful! Could you answer as many of theses questions, it will give us a idea of the tank status.

Ammonia Level

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level?

Ph Level out of the Tap?

Tank size(How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

What kind of Filtration?

How often do you change the water and how much?

What kind of Water additives or conditioners?

Any Medications add to the tank?

How many fish in the tank and there size?

Add any new fish to the tank?

What do you feed your fish?

Any unusual findings on the fish? Such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins, fungus?

Any unusual behavior? Like staying at the bottom, not eating, ect..?

If you can what is the chloramines Level from the Tap?

The fish being out of water so long could have caused brain damage - as it is acting so strangely. This fins and body may have been seriously damaged too and sounds like fin rot.

Depending on the severity of it will depend on which medication. Where in world are you based? USA? UK? Some meds can only be got in certain countries.

I'll be back..... :welcome

FYI: it is not a good idea to flush a dead fish, it can contaminate water supplies, best thing is to bury them in the garden. - but let's hope it dosent come to that :heart

What a horrible accident. Sorry to hear about it, you must be so frustrated.

By the way, welcome to Koko's.

From the sounds of it I am amazed that the fish is still alive, though it does sound like it won't be much longer.

I am not sure if you are aware of water quality, cycling and keeping gf in general, so I will begin in saying the best thing you can do is make sure the water quality is top notch.

Testing for all of the levels asked above in the box is a start. Post back with those and we can help you.

If you do not have tests the lfs can test the water for you. Being it is a holiday chances are they may not be open.

Could you give us some detail on the fish's enviornment? This will help us as well.

Until we hear back from you I would say to keep the tank dark and quiet. Not having the poor thing stressed further will be best.

Guest CountryMom

Ammonia Level Have no idea

Nitrite Level? Have no idea

Nitrate level? Have no idea

Ph Level? Have no idea

Ph Level out of the Tap? Have no idea

Tank size(How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 30 gallons been running for years

What kind of Filtration? One bought at nooppee - it has worked great all these years.

How often do you change the water and how much? Every week I change about 1/3 of the water.

What kind of Water additives or conditioners? I add ChlorOut as instructed on the bottle.

Any Medications add to the tank? No

How many fish in the tank and there size? 1 Fish, HUGE..lol

Add any new fish to the tank? No

What do you feed your fish? Goldfish food, we haven't switched the food since he was tiny.

Any unusual findings on the fish? Such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins, fungus? No

Any unusual behavior? Like staying at the bottom, not eating, ect..? Not eating, swimming into sides of tank, taking a lot more rests than normal

If you can what is the chloramines Level from the Tap? I don't know

okies, if possible, soon as possible can you get the water tested? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & PH are the most importent. If you take the water to pet shop and get it tested ask them to write the results down, some just say 'yeh it's fine'.

as you don't change 100% of your water at once & your using the same filter as always, i would say the tank is cycled - which is good - (do you wash the filter sponges?? if so how?) the only way you'll know if tank is cycled is to get water tested.

as for the fin rot issue, you can get from any aquatics center medication. i'll have a look about , and hopefully Laurie will have some sound ideas, shes good like that :)

Hang in there....

Guest CountryMom

Thanks for replying so fast.

We have had the goldfish for so long. I don't think we ever checked the water in the tank for any levels. We thought if the tank wasn't green and nasty we were doing a pretty good job and we haven't had a problem at all with the poor thing being sick until the jump from the tank. I have no idea how he even was able to move the lid to jump out.

I live in the US. Can I get the meds at a pet store or do I need to see a vet?

Kelly

Guest CountryMom

I have testing kits for water levels that I got with my pool. Would that work in testing the water in the tank?

Thanks so much for all your help. I feel like I have hope for this little guy.

Kelly

I have testing kits for water levels that I got with my pool. Would that work in testing the water in the tank?

Thanks so much for all your help. I feel like I have hope for this little guy.

Kelly

355996[/snapback]

not sure... could give it a got - see what results are? then get to pet shop and see difference :)

you can see a vet if you want, not sure of vets in US, i am UK so med side .... hopefully Laurie will be back soon, or a fellow american who knows the US meds better.

Good Luck, keep us posted.

Guest Chishower

For fish in the US, you can get just about everything you need at your local fish store. We are lucky that way.

I would get the water tested, start on Melafix or Maracyn as Lozbug suggested, and see what happenes. If there is brain damage, there isn't much you can do.

Sounds like you have been doing great so far, and I hope he pulls through.

Do NOT use the meds until the params of the tank are known. This can wreck havoc on a system, not to mention the fish.

Unfortunetly assuming the tank is cycled is a big mistake, I have known of years a tank doesn't cycle.

PLease test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and PH before jumping into any treatment.

If they're off that is most likely the problem fix that and viola a healing fish. If you dump meds into a tank with water quality issues not only will you not help the fish you put it under more stress making it sicker.

So I would test and post the numbers and then we can guide you to use a med if is needed.

Guest ashleynmatt24133

Go to wal mart and get some of the Fungus Clear it is made by Jungle and it will get rid of it also you might want to put some aquarium salt in it.

FungusClear isn't the miracle medication for everything unfortunately, AshelynMatt. And medicating a fish for something he doesn't even have will do more harm than good. :)

The aquarium salt however will be a good tonic and healing agent for the fish.

Guest ashleynmatt24133

The FUNGUS CLEAR will take care of the fin and tail rot. Maybe you sould get some and read the box.

You can believe whatever you think is right, but just because it is discribed on the medicine doesn't mean its actually very effective. And please stop spreading around Fungus Clear as some sort of miracle medication - there is no such thing as one medication for all illnesses.

All those illnesses mentioned by Fungus Clear have different parasites as cause, and need in most cases different chemical treatments than Fungus clear can provide. Its like taking Mylanta for headaches, stomach aches, sore throats and bladder infection - it just isn't gonna work.

Most meds from the pet store have a very low percentage of the actual medicine in it, and the longer you keep fish, the more you will find medications that have a higher efficiency rate than the ones in pet stores. Its all about money for the pharmaceutical companies.

Archived