Yabbies Smell

There was this off smell in Garion's room that I couldn't locate until I changed the water in the yabbie tank today. It's only been a week since I changed it last.

Poooooh, it reaks, like nothing I can describe. I relocated the tank to the games room. That was hours ago and every now and again I get a whiff, it's permeated my mucus membranes and won't go away. :crp

:o Ah man Annette,if it smells anything like dead snails,then I'm with you on that! :ignore:lol: I got one DOA in the parcel.and I don't ever want to smell that again! Think Lilac's, Rose's,Peony's,Lemon furniture polish---Something!!!! :rofl

:yikes the first time i had a snail die, i didnt know it was dead for a good week, i let it just chill there in the tank...when i finally pulled him out....ack!!!!!!!! im amost puked!! :ill

Well I was thinking about getting an applesnail for the 55 gal. but never mind. Totally turned off. No offense to the comments that were made, just don't want to experience the smell thing. :sick

And 1 in a 55 gallon wouldn't make it smell or anything. The smell is just a good indicator of whether the snail is dead or not. Smack's right they only smell bad when they die. And 1 at a time isn't anything you can't handle.....when I read this thread and posted, I was just taken back to a time of getting a shipment of them where they were all dead. It was bad on a hot day......Ok, I'll stop now... :rofl

Guest yabbie

Hey! :huh: Are you talking about me?

I told you Yabbies smelled bad. I took some from the wild. But they just got smellier as they got bigger (and there were those accusing looks they kept giving me) so I took them back to their lake. Then I saw that size at the aquarium for $20 each!

Ah well... they're happier back in their lake. All the lake yabbies won't recognise them in their new grown shells with their fat bellies.

Guest yabbie

If you do release them, you have to make sure they go back to the same region you got them from. There's a strange yabbie joint disease which has got most of the states... except SA... I think.

Anyway, if someone has stocked a creek or pond with unaffected yabbies and you release yours there, you may infect them... altho if you've had yours for a few years and they're healthy, that probably isn't an issue.

Archived