What Type Of Filter

i have an under gravel filter and i dont know wether to get a power head for it to make it more powerful or to buy a new bigger one which sits inside the tank which one would be better for the fish and for me when it comes to cleaning? they both cost the same in the shop so thats why i need your help :huh:

Most people prefere to use Bio-Wheels because they hang off the back, filter IMO much better, and are easy to remove for cleaning if they need to be removed at all.

From what I've heard UGF trap the waste on the bottom so you can't really get it all out using a siphone and you have to pull out all the gravel to get at it. That to me is a big waste of time and a messy one at that.

If you're going to buy a powehead you might as well buy a HOB filter they cost about the same if not less, and will save your gravel from having to be removed constantly. The only downside is you'll have to keep the HOB in with the UGF till it's cycled. Just my :twocents . Good luck on deciding, tell us how it goes.

Tam

Goldfish as extremely messy fish. To keep their tanks clean, easy to care for, and healthy for the fish in general, the rule of thumb is to pass all the water in your tank through your filter at least 10 times every hour. This means if you have a 30 gallon tank, you need to filter at least 300 gallons per hour. I like more - particularly if the tank is fully stocked. I usually aim for 15 times an hour - making the filtration for a 30 gallon tank 450 gallons per hour. I have Emperor 400's on two of my 30 gallon tanks - being 400 gallons per hour and only 2 fish in each tank.

Depending on your tank size and fish load, you would need something that filters between 300gph to 450 gph for a 30 gllon tank. Other size tanks would need different volumes of water per hour - but to the tune of between 10 and 15 times an hour turnover.

As mentioned above, the hang over the back type filter is one of the easiest to maintain. They are generally well built and solid in construction. I am fond of the Penquin/Emperor collection for I have never had problems with them. Others swear by the Whisper line.

I have never seen an "in tank" variety of filter that has the capasity to filter enough gph for goldfish. IF you have one and prefer that type of filter, I am sure you can make it work. It really depends on how you like your tank to work.

I, personally, have difficulty breaking down and cleaning the filter media on an in-tank model every week, and am loathe to give up the water space in the tank to a filter.

JMO....

:)

well my tank is just under 30gals i think (36" by 12" by 15"36 length and 15 high) it has five fish so im told its over stocked i think i would have difficulty with ones that hang over the back as my tank is against the wall on a stand i would like one like my friends its a big one that sits under the tank in a cupoard and when the water comes out it makes a bubble waterfall sort of thing on the back of the tank and its very pretty but whatevers best for phill will do. :exactly do they sell some of the brands you mentioned in the UK?

I'm not 100% sure but you might be able to find Emperor Bio-Wheels and Whispers in the UK.

The under the cupboard filter I believe is a sump, overflow or canister filter. These work extremely well in saltwater and large tanks. My stepmom has on on her 55 trop tank and it keeps it very well filtered. It could be much to poweful for any tank smaller than 55 gallons though. Someone will come along and clear that up, I'm interested in that too.

Actually, my Eheim 2028 only filters 285 gph - perfect for a 20 gallon tank, but underpowered for a 30 gallon tank. I needed to add two more HOB Emperor 280s to finish out the filtration on a 56 gallon tank.

Many cannisters do less or more gph. That is the number you are looking for. You want to get a filter or a combination of filters that are capable of passing all of the 30 gallons of water through them at least 10 times every hour - or 300 gph.

Look at the various boxes of the filters available - and see what you can find that will do this for you. Since your tank is overstocked, the filtration will become even more important. I would aim at a higher turnover if possible.

Depending on your setup, you want to be able to boost your biobase to the maximum to process the excess waste from the overstocked fish. You can do it - it is not too hard, but you just have to keep up with the water changes, for you will get excess nitrates as the result. :)

A good filter(s) that hold a large quantity of biomedia, supplemented by a biowhell system if possible, and even a gravel base or bags of media hidden behind plants in a bare bottom tank will help give you a solid, large colony of beneficial bacteria. Grow this colony large enough, and they will process all the waste from those 5 fish. Change out the water in generous amounts in a timely basis to keep the nitrates down, and your tank can still be healthy and happy! :)

so if i get a new filter does that mean i have to cyle my tank again? i had a lot of problems doing this last time mainly because it was over stocked and under gravel filters are awkward. so as my tank is over stocked already does that mean i cant get a pleco or what ever theyre called? should i take out my ugf if i get a new filter i heard theyre a ticking time bomb i was just about to get a few extra bags of gravel to go ontop of the gravel ive got now because the layer is too thin if you move it slightly you can see the under gravel plate so i wont really need it if im getting a new filter will i? and also would i only have to change my water once a week if i got a good enough filter? its hard work shifting buckets :exactly

Archived