I Don't Know Whats Wrong...

Guest Phreno

Guest Phreno

Last week I brought home a cute new silvery-bronze baby oranda. Over the first 3 days I salted to .3%, and then started him on Medigold. He was doing fine untill a few days ago. Now all he does the entire day is sit on the bottom. Sometimes with his fins clipped, sometimes with them up. Occasionally he will move his eyes, or swim to another spot and lay there. I didn't feed him for the first 2 days I had him, then he got peas. So, I don't think its constipation. But what else could it be? He hasn't flashed, his eyes and body aren't swollen, nothing. I thought it could be oxygen problems, so I added a bubble wall 2 days ago, but he's still just sitting there. I'm stumped! Anyone be able to help here?

Ammonia Level 0.5ppm

Nitrite Level? 0.1ppm

Nitrate level? 5ppm

Ph Level? 7.1

Ph Level out of the Tap? 7.2

Tank size(How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 10 Gal, 1.5 weeks

What kind of Filtration? Penguin bio wheel 200B

How often do you change the water and how much? Once a week, 50%

What kind of Water additives or conditioners? Prime, Stability

Any Medications add to the tank? Just salt.

How many fish in the tank and there size? a 1.5 inch oranda

Add any new fish to the tank? Yes, the only one in it

What do you feed your fish? It got a pea and then medigold

Any unusual findings on the fish? Such as

"grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins, fungus? None whatsoever.

Any unusual behavior? Like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? Yep, he/she just sits there at the bottom. Doesn't eat the medigold anymore, either actually.

If you can what is the chloramines Level

from the Tap? No idea.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds to me like the fish is suffering from "new tank syndrom". THis means the cycling tank is making the fish sick.

You can help him by doing plenty of water changes and trying to keep the tank cycling with as little as ammonia and nitrites as possible. If you could "tweak" the numbers a bit, lowering the ammonia to around 0.25 and the nitrites the same this will help the fish tolerate the cycling better.

Remember cycling is so hard on them. The salt will help, just keep an eye on the levels and maybe change some water every day to help keep the params a little better.

Another helpful tip is to decrease feeding by 1/2 right now while the tank is cycling. This produces less waste.

Hi Phreno,

Sorry to hear you're having more grief. Argh!!

Did you keep a daily record of the water parameters? It might correlate with your Oranda's behaviour, pointing to new tank syndrome suggested by LaurieP.

While reading your post, my initial reaction was oxygen, but you seem to have that covered. What's the temperature like?

I'm sure your fish will get over it.

Slugger :)

Guest Phreno

THe temperature is 76F.

Ok, I haven't been testing much, because I'm not home much. But after 1 week, thats what the readings were. I'll test again tomorrow.

Actually, I haven't fed him/her for 2 days. I'll probably just feed gel food from now on, that should produce less waste right? Maybe not...

I hope its just from the tank cycling. I'll keep my eye on it though! :)

I would do more tests and see what is better if anything. And then obviously work on getting it better if it is not.

Guest Phreno

Well, the tank is certainly cycling, but I can't change water right now, because I have to go to bed. I have a dentist appointment at 8AM tomorrow, and its 11PM now. But when I get back I will do a 50% water change, and sipon all the poo out of the tank. I'll be back before 11AM so the fish should be fine, and double dosed with prime to ease the stress on the fish. I can tell I'll be doing water changes for the rest of the week. :D

EDIT: By the way, he's eating fine! Gobbles the medigold up like it's going out of style! :lol:

Archived