Flying Fish!

Guest Bigphil

Guest Bigphil

I was wathing my fish when Sue (the prettiest fish in the world) swam to one end of the tank, went to the bottom, and then swam as fast as she could half way along the tank and up strait through the surface of the water and hit the top of the cover. If there was no cover she would have lept out of the tank! I hope she didn't hurt herself!

Is this common?

It was so funny to see but on a more serious note should I be worried that she might do herself some damage?

Guest jimmy_396_jimmy

actually it might be really bad because the fish might wanna try kill it self or sumthing like that....

Guest Bigphil

Oh Jimmy!

I do hope you're joking.

I'm sure Sue is a very happy fish. Well cared for and loves her two Blackmoor tank mates.

Still, I'll put a pen and some paper in the tank so if she needs to she can leave a suicide note. :rofl

there is a reason why fish feel the need to jump out but you need to find why.

can you fill in the box at the top of the disease section. if a fish is in too small a tank or the water chemistry isnt right then they may try to get out.

On another note it could be that shes feeling the need for some exercise!

Guest Bigphil

Sue is in a 55 Gal tank with 2 x 1 to 2" Blackmoors. Water is very good condition (Amonia 0 : nitrites 0 : Nitrates 13PPM)

Some of you really worry me. What I thought was an amusing event turns out to be yet another crisis!

I assumed Sue was just being playful.

I'm sorry I don't wish to have a go but some of you do seem a bit parranoid.

sorry we're coming across as paranoid but fish jump for a reason, yes it could be just for fun and it could be for another reason. we cant see your tank so dont know what the set up is.

as shes in a 55 gallon and the water is fine then yes the likelihood is that she jumps for fun but fish if they have parasites jump as well. you mentioned it, so we answered.

if you watch fish in the wild they jump for all reasons too, whether its the joys of spring or catching a fly or they have an irritation.

s'ok, i can take it. as a one off then dont be too worried about it but if she keeps doing it then theres a reason.

take care :heart

Bigphil.....just in case....I'd start looking for a fish shrink!!! I think some deep therapy is needed! :rofl

:bounce Now, Sue, quit jumping on the couch........tell me were you hugged enough when you were a fry??.......what your parents didn't have arms????no hugging.......hhmmmmm now we are getting to the problem! :rofl

hmm my black moor i had b4 which was about 3 inchs did the jumping up and hitting the cover at least 2-3 times and then stopped after...i dont know why tho... :(

Guest graceful fins

Hey !!

I have a few fish that do that too. Did she jump in the area where you usually feed from. I feed in one area at the same time every day and they let be know it is time by using the behavior that Sue is displaying. When it is fiiding time all of my fish are crammed in one corner. It's kinda funny when they have a whole entire 100 gallon to swim about!!

Heather

PS My Cockatiel's "girlfriend's" name is also Sue. No... it's not another bird it is a toy on top of his cage but he thinks it is his girlfriend. It is only appropriate to give "her" a name. A toy named sue!!!

Some other reasons why a fish may just are lack of dissolved O2 and not dechlorinating the water. I learned my boyfriend had a fish for a day when he was little (didn't know, his mom was telling me) and it jumped out overnight. My guess is that they didn't dechlorinate the water..but of course I didn't say that to her! lol! Anyways, it could just be she's a feisty little girl, so don't worry too much if tests are appearing normal :)

Guest Phreno

My fish did it twice, it was from parasites. I'd suggest going to the disease forum and posting there. I think hitting the top of the tank is sort of like flashing. But, its definately not good! :(

Archived