Now That I Know Enough To Be Dangerous...

Guest tgrogan

Guest tgrogan

Hi, guys. Thanks for all the welcoming messages! So far Samak is still alive, so something is going right, but I still have some questions that I hope you can help me answer. So, without further ado:

1) Samak doesn't seem to be eating well. He mostly hangs out near the bottom, in the middle of his artificial plants, with occasional forays into the wide world. I have two kinds of food--the flakes that came with his starter aquarium kit and Bio-Blend sinking pellets. He basically will go after a flake if it sinks in front of his face, and explore around a little more, but he doesn't seem to find them. For some reason, his back is always turned if I try to drop a pellet or two, so he never sees them. I think in the three mini-feedings I've tried so far, he's eaten maybe three small flakes. Is it just adjusting to a new life in a tank, or should I be concerned?

2)I live in a non-air-conditioned apartment with pretty crappy airflow, so even with windows open and fans going it can get hot. The temperature, day and night, in the water appears to be 78-82 degrees Fahrenheit. I don't turn the light on in the tank, because I don't want those incandescent bulbs to heat up the water any further. Is this a problem? How do I cool the (10 gal) tank if necessary (summer is nowhere near its hottest)? And does not having the light on make it harder for my little guy to find food (most of the time, he just doesn't appear to be looking)?

3) How long can I store conditioned water? Can I make up, say, five gallons, get it conditioned and roughly pHed and temp adjusted, use some for a water change and then save the rest for the next week (or day, since I'm in cycling mode)?

Thank you in advance for your answers-- I really appreciate the time and energy y'all expend in sharing information with newbies.

--Tammy

Hi and welcome! If your fish is still new and the tank is still cycling, that could be the cause of the inactivity. Its a big change for a fish and sometimes takes them awhile to get adjusted. Some fish are right at home immediately, but some take longer.

Your fish will probably eventually find the pellets. Goldfish are great scavengers and are always poking around the tank. Or its possible that he isnt used to sinking food (most pet stores just feed floating flake food) so it may take time for him to get adjusted. Gettign the flakes to sink in front of him is probably the best way to do that, so keep that up. And if hes not goign to the bottom, make sure there isnt too much accumulating down there.

As for the heat, I have air conditioning and my tanks still shoot way up over 80! I came home to find one tank at 90 the other night!! Basically, as long as there is sufficient surface movement, the fish will be okay. Cooler water holds more oxygen, which is why that is better,so with warm water just make sure you have plenty of movement. Add an extra airstone, if possible.

My other trick for cooling down tanks is to take old water bottles and freeze water in them, then float them in the tank. I have several that I rotate on really hot days. For a 10 gallon just use a small one.

As for water storage, I do make up about 5 gallons at a time and store it. I dont think there would be any problems aside from the pH changing, and as long as it isnt drastic it should be okay. Hope this helps! :)

Guest tgrogan

Thanks! That helps a lot. I definitely needed the reassurance! And the floating frozen bottles idea is fantastic! I love this group! Thanks again!

Archived