Cleaning Shallow Water

I have a problem with my new newt tank, and I figured it could also apply to things like fish ponds and smaller tanks. It's a 10 gallon tank with 6 inches of water. My problem is the gravel is getting quite dirty and I'm not sure how to clean it. My vaccum I use for my fish tank has to be submerged so it would never work. I don't really want to have to buy a mechanical one, anybody have any ideas? Thanks!

I've got a pretty small tank for my tropicals, and a pretty small siphon to boot. I just bought the littlest one they had, of the cheap kind that you're supposed to start by wiggling up and down but I usually have to end up sucking on the other end anyways. It works fine. Maybe if this is even a problem, you could get a small siphon and cut off part of the fat end? Mine seems to work when it's not all the way underwater, though, so you shouldn't have to do that.

Edit: Does that make any sense? I read it again and confused myself. I need to go to bed...

May I ask why your tank is only filled around 6 inches deep?

No problem. It's a half land/half water set up for 3 fire bellied newts. They don't really need deep water, just a good volume of it. It has plants on the land and in the water (floating pond plants). It would be very difficult to clean without a syphon, that's my problem :( It has a small filter and I've been doing water changes, but the gravel is dirty and the nitrites are waaaaaaaaaay too high. I need a solution and I was hoping not to have to mess with the set up too much.

how much are small medium and large size siphons are your place peoples ???just curious..wanna see if im getting a rip or something hehehe

take the tube-y thing off the hose, and start it manually (suck on it) and just use your finger to poke around and stir up the gravels i did it this way on my shallow tank of fiddlers when i had them.. :)

I bought a length of clear plastic tubing - they sell it by the foot at Sears or at Home Despot. If you buy the larger diameter stuff, it is like a small syphon in itself. A 1/2 id or even 3/4 to 1 inch id tube will become a splendid syphon in this situation.....

If you already have a larger syphon - just pop the rigid plastic piece off it as suggested above and the tube becomes a syphon. I just like the larger ones because the syphon faster.....

:)

:ignore Oh my,I've accidently done that!!! It was funny,until one day I emptied 5 gals. of water out of the tank and into a white bucket so I could make sure that no Cory Catfish babies had gotten siphoned up. The only thing I saw,were just how many organisms are swimming around in your water that you don't really know about! :ignore YUCK-YUCK-YUCK!!! :rofl Sorry about the earlier question too.My bad....I was tired,and didn't catch the "Newt's tank" part,or I would have realized it was shallow for that reason. :rolleyes::lol:

I had this same dilemma when I had a terrarium. Take the clear ridgid gravel tube off of the hose adapter (usually blue or green) Then just cut one end off of the gravel tubing (say, 3 inches). Then you can pop the small end in for the terrarium or the big end in for the fish tanks.

In doing this with most syphons, you still retain enough gravel tubing length for the fish tanks without gravel being sucked up.

Hope this helps! :D

Paul

Archived