Penguin Sponge Filter/powerhead

I'm going to set up a single fish 10 gallon, I don't want to buy anything and contemplated playing musical filters but just couldn't make it work. Then *flick* the lightbulb came on, I have a Penguin Sponge filter/powerhead lying around from betta spawns. While my spawn was in there I really wasn't concerned about how it worked just that it did and well, but now it's going to be filtering for a goldie and I honestly don't know how bio-filtration works in it's cycling process, only used bio-wheels till then. The good bacteria sits in the sponge right? It's just been out of use (dry) for a week, it still needs to fully cycle or will it still have some nitrates (that's the good bacteria right?) to kick start the process?

The outflow has a bubble feature that's going to be main airation, hmm live plants are going in it shouldn't bother them to much right now as they're tiny things. 10 gallons shouldn't have to much of a pull from the filter should it? A slow swimming bubble eye will be going in and I don't want her to fight the filter.

Sorry sorry for all the "Duh Tam, why don't you know?" questions, more popped out then I expected. :unsure:;)

Thanks! Tam

No worries! :D

NitrAtes are the end product of the nitrification cycle. The are basically ammonia converted down to a semi-harmless state. Beneficial bacteria is what is responsible for converting ammonia on down to nitrAtes.

Your sponge is now devoid of any beneficial bacteria. You will have to get it cycled again. Do this by hanging it into a cycle tank (only a healthy tank!) and letting it run for a few days. Then, take the filter out of that tank and hang it in its destined tank. You can then take your filter cartridge out of your established tank and swish it around in the new tank until a lot of the brown gunk has come loose and is floating around in the new tank. Within a few hours, the tank should be cleared up nicely.

Your tank is now considered to be almost completely cycled. That is, if you were able to get a good bit of gunk off and into the new tank. You just need to test daily until you get a 0ppm reading for ammonia and nitrItes. during this time, you CAN have your goldie in there but you should follow the cycling pages suggestions.

If you have any questions or ned clarification on anything, dont hesitate to ask....

Paul

Ok, it's set up and Trevor is in there to help it along. I've got some cycled pads in there and Trev is a moster so he can handle it I'm positive. The out put on that thing is massive though, it says 660 on the actual powerhead. Is that right? 66 gph? That's crazy on a 10 gallon, specially since a bubble eye will be going in.

The penguin 660 pumps at 170 gallons per hour so you might want to slow the flow down a bit if yours has the flow control feature. Otherwise, some ornaments can help to break up the strong currents created.

good luck!

Paul

Tam - thanks for asking! I have a lot of these questions, too so I really found this thread helpful :D

Maybe a write up on basic filter information would help - I know I would love it! Then, newbies (especially) but everybody would have like a 101 course under our belts and be more proficient with basic tank terms and figures - things like flow rates, etc. If it is all in one spot, I think a lot of people's questions will be answered right away!

Or, e.g. wet/dry filters versus canister - and power filters (is that the same as a wet/dry filter with a biowheel? - what is the real difference? Even the write ups at the fish stores don't explain whole lot - like when would I want to use the one and not the other? I.m sure there is a lot of variation possible to acheive the samne goal but there must be some basic info. that would help us all...

Just a thought! I'd be willing to help!

That is indeed a good thread there. In fact, I think I have what your looking for, Graham:

Goldfish filtration

If you go to the forum index page, look in the column to the right. At the top, it says, "goldfish information". Down below the paypal icon/link, you will see a listing of all types of different pages. Some useful info in there..... :)

Hope this helps! :D

Guest yabbie

Obviously the power filter comes with it's own power but I never know when looking at filters if they need airpumps or powerheads or what to drive them.

So a box filter may only look cheaper than a power filter because it's only half the works and still needs something to drive it.

Archived