Possible Fungus

Guest mykonstantine

Guest mykonstantine

This is all acording to a 5 in one strip so the readings are like "ideal". "safe", "dangerous" ect.

Ammonia Level : Ideal

Nitrite Level? Safe

Nitrate level? It said this is a little low? Is that possible?

Ph Level? 7.0

Ph Level out of the Tap? Above 8

Tank size(How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 20G, 8 months

What kind of Filtration? Penguin something its new, (2 weeks) it filters up to 60G.

How often do you change the water and how much? 1/3 every week

What kind of Water additives or conditioners? Aqua Safe, sometimes salt, pH up when needed

Any Medications add to the tank? Right now, Melafix, Salt at .1, and Anti Fungus tablets by Jungle

How many fish in the tank and there size? 4, over stocked I know... 2 Blackmoores (5in and 3in) an Oranda (4in) and a Common (4.5in)

Add any new fish to the tank? Nope

What do you feed your fish? Pellets, Flakes, Peas, sometims lettuce ect.

Any unusual findings on the fish? Such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins, fungus? Grayish/Black spots

Any unusual behavior? Like staying at the bottom, not eating, ect..? Maybe a little darting.

If you can what is the chloramines Level from the Tap? n/a

Okay, I have had these guys since they were tiny, I bought them to keep in my dorm room at college bc I missed having animals. That was 2.5 years ago. I love these buggers and have em in the biggest tank I can have on campus (20G). Normally they're okay and I change the water a lot but recently I've been working 12 hour swing shifts from 7P to 7A and have lost all track of the tank.

I went out of town for the weekend, but before I left I swept the bottem of the tank, (using a syphon) added some new clean conditioned water, a little Melafix (for a torn fin thats healing) and turned their timed feeder on and was on my way. When I arrived home today my Commet (Frankie) who is white with a little orange on his head had grayish/black spots all over him! He appears to be okay maybe flashing a little. The Oranda (Jasper) who is bright orange doesn't have spots nor do the black moores.

I went to the store and got some of Jungles Anti Fungal stuff, emptied the filter pad of carbon and dropped the tabs in there. At first he kinda freaked out but now is swimming happily.

Is there anything else I could do to make this go better? Do I even have the right illness? The tank peramitters were taken on Friday afternoon.

Thanks for anything! :krazy:

Well what may be going on are a couple things. First I would say the black is probably ammonia burns healing. With the ammonia "ideal" and the nitrites "safe", indicates the nitrites are more than 0.

A little back ground on the types of tests you are using, they are very unreliable because you can't tell what the actual number is. So thinking the ideal is 0, safe is proabably 0.25-1 would inticate that you have had an ammonia spike recently.

I would do an immediate water change and see if you can't get some drop tests.

Next the medicine you are using could have contributed to the cycle bump. Most medicines kill the benefical bacteria leaving them vunlerable to the bad ones. I would stop using the Melafix and Fungal stuff and just stick with the salt and great water quality. Together those 2 things can help cure tons of stuff.

Now lastly I have an inclination that the fish is bothered by parasites. Flashing or darting can be an indication of this as well.

Salt is a great parasite killer, except for flukes. So you are doing great there. I would run the tank at 0.3% concentration a good couple weeks and see if there is an improvement.

Archived