I Fell In Love Today :)

Kissy

I went to the petstore to get my dog groomed, and when I came to get her I planned to get a couple tetras. I was looking at their bettas..they all looked incredibly sickly and dull. But then a little betta caught my eye..his face did really. His color is was a drab brownish greyish red, and his fins were so torn up. He had the cutest little face...Its similar to the panda goldfish in coyoteugly's avatar. He's got these big black eyes too...he had reeled me in lol. So I didn't have enough money to buy the betta and the tetras....well I'm sure you can guess the betta one :)

I am pretty unprepared for this little guy...I don't have a place for him to stay, or food to give him. He's in one of the three gallon buckets I use for water changes right now, with a hollow twisted tree stump with caves inside. As for the food...I found some old betta bites from maybe four years ago but threw them away a week ago. Yah they're probably useless by now. I've got Tetra color flakes for tropicals, omega one goldfish pellets, freezedried bloodworms, and medicated goldfish food. I'm guessing the flakes would be best to feed him until I can get him his own food?

Is there really a water conditioner that turns water blue? All the betta cups were blue and I asked why and she said it was a conditioner, and none of them were sick.

Anyways, he's pretty dinged up and I'm afraid he could be sick. His fins are looking pretty bad. They are completely torn up, but I'm not sure if its fin rot or something. I've got some melafix, should I try some of that? He's not shiny or bright at all, but I think most of it is just hs natural color. The two long skinny fins that hand down from his gills..those are pretty beat up too, but he's got the tiniest little white tips. He's so pretty. Well..not to most people, but to me he's gorgeous. I'm thinking about names for this little guy. I think I've just gotta face it: I have an unbelievable soft spot for mistreated animals, and I've got an uncontrolable urge to rescue them. Originally, I planned to get a gorgeous female black crowntail (I saw one maybe a month or so ago) but things change, and love is good :)

thats how I fell in love with my boy Rover... I miss him.. my poor "ugli" betta (yes, ugli') Melefix is great, and just keep his water pristine clean, and he "should" pull through... though sometimes their to far gone... :(

Congrats!

He absolutely loves his tree trunk and all its caves! He goes in thru one entrance, pokes his head out another, swims back in, and then pokes his head out another hole. He's a cutie :) I really hope he makes it.

:) Congrats on your new Betta.Sometimes.you don't get to pick your fish,they pick you. The mosy important thing that you can do for him right now,is keep his water pristene. Sometimes,that in itsself will clear up any fin rot issues as long as they're not too severe. If using Melafix,I'd be rather careful as some have not had the best experiences with Melafix and their Betta's.Use half the strength if you do. Try the clean water for a while,& see how that does.For changing out the Betta tank water(or what ever you end up using,if you can leave water sit overnight that would be great.Just make sure you temp match the water that you'll be using to the tank water that he's allready in. Betta's have stomach's about the size of their eye,so it's very important not to overfeed. The flakes may,or may not be liked by him.You can feed him the freeze dried bloodworms for now,and then maybe pick up some of Hikari's Betta Pellets as his staple food. My Betta's have learned to eat a number of non Betta foods such as peas,frozen turtle cubes :rolleyes: ,tubiflex worms,and even occasionly I catch one trying to eat a Pro-Gold Pellet. :lol: Good luck with the little guy,and if you have any more questions-Give us a holler! ;)

Aw Kissy what a wonderful story! He sounds perky, which is a good sign. Agreed, keep his water pristene and that might just be all he needs. :)

The blue water was methylane blue, it's a sort of stress reliever and disease "gaurd" they use to ship and QT bettas/other fish. I've gotten many a fish mailed in methylane blue and they arrive in awesome conditons.

Hi Kissy,

What a great thing to do :heart I am so glad you brought the little guy home with you.

As the others have mentioned, I would just keep him in pristine water right now and see if he heals up. Sometimes that is the best remedy.

As for melafix, I read that the dosage is one drop per gallon, but I have never used melafix with my bettas, and as Sharon has mentioned, some people have had bad experiences with bettas and melafix.

I put blanched zucchini in my betta tanks for the snails, and the bettas have developed quite a taste for it, too!

Please keep us posted on the wee one's progress :)

Wahoo Kissy!

You finally got your betta! Hope everything works out for him; post pics when you can! What are some of your name ideas?

"He goes in thru one entrance, pokes his head out another, swims back in, and then pokes his head out another hole."

He sounds alert and curious, so that's good; usually they seem kind of listless when at the pet superstores, but since he's that active, he should recover. Sounds cute!

"I gave the lady kinda a hard time cuz I didn't believe it was a conditioner. Oh well"

Usually, the betta cups I see at pet super stores are slightly bluish too, but I never really thought about it that much, maybe cause I assumed it was the background behind the cups.

Good luck with him, and keep us posted!

Congrats on your new fin kid! I know he'll enjoy his time with his new mom.

Betta's have stomach's about the size of their eye

355658[/snapback]

I thought this was true of most fish...? Someone straighten me out, please. :D

He seems more listless today, and spends most of his time hiding in his caves or laying on the bottom. Is this normal for bettas? How often and how much should I change his water to keep it pristine? Also, I'm going to try and do without the melafix right now..I don't want to risk anything cuz he does look kind of weak.

I forgot to mention this before: I had brought him home in his cup and I went to get a sample of his water so I could get his new home's pH the same. I tried to fit the test tube in...I was bending the cup...a little more..almost there....SNAP! The side cracked all the way to the bottom and water was everywhere! I was like "oh crap" and I squeezed the side shut so the remaining water wouldn't leak out as fast. His new home wasn't dechlorinated or matching pH (the tap was 8.3 the cup was 7.5) so I dumped him into a wine glass! It was a miracle..I had brought up the wine glass and planned to put him in it so I could take some better pictures before he went into the butcket :) He was pretty freaked but he was okay :)

I love the name, Kissy :heart

In a 3 gallon bucket, I would change 100% of the water once per week. If you had another bucket, you could let the water sit out in that for at least 24 hours, then add your conditioner. Then take Orchard out of his home in a little cup, remove the ornaments and rinse them off, put them in the bucket of clean water, and pop the little guy in. That would be pretty unstressful :)

I wouldn't be too concerned after the first day, but he should be more active. Is he eating? He could just be stressed after the move.

... so where are the pictures?!? :)

I think bettas can be kinda moody--mine kinda sat around for a few days when I got him. Give him a while and see if he comes around. He may just be surprised to be home.

He's back to poking his head thru entrances of the caves again :) He's not active, but not terribly sessile either. I think he's just shy :P If he sees me coming he shoots back into his cave. Five minutes later he pokes his head out again! I think he's adjusting...and he's probably never had a three gallons to himself lol.

Anyways, he ate :D There was a tiny pellet of betta food that rode home with us on his cup, so I soaked it and threw it in today. It took him a while to come out, but I came back two hours later and the pellet was gone. In its place was Orchard :) He's so cute.

My sister hates his name. I think its wonderful. Everytime I hear the word "orchard" I think about running barefoot thru the groves of trees in the rich dirt covered in shade, and finding a nice big tree to sit in and eat an apple alone in the middle of the "forest". I dunno why, the name just fits him so well. My sister said was stupid to name things, so now I call her "girl" hehe.

Pictures! Wow you guys are in luck! My parents brought home their first digital camera today, and if I can pry it out of their hands for a moment I'll get some pictures of him for you guys. Week and a half at the latest. You will love Orchard and I'll love sharing him :)

I forgot some things again. I do have another three gallon bucket, so that will make water changes pretty easy. I am definately getting a three gallon critter keeper for him..I miss seeing his pretty face, and he loves his tree cave too much for me to get rid of it. So a three gallon it is. So here's my list for next week: hikari betta food, look at 3 gallon kritter keepers, look at aquarium lights (for my new 29 gallon), and don't buy goldfish. I gave him a few bloodworms this afternoon, but they float so I think he's afraid to get them. I saw him shoot up to the surface, grab something, and dive back in his cave, but I'm not sure if it was food. How high do bettas jump? I've got three inches from the water surface to the top edge of the bucket. Is this enough? He found a new favorite spot too. There's a groove on top of his stump and some fake leaves over that..he likes to lounge up there under the leaves :)

"My sister said was stupid to name things, so now I call her "girl"."

That's hilarious, and his name is great! Orchard is very pretty, calming name.

Can't wait for pics! He sounds cute! Sounds like you got your shopping all planned out for you.

Temporaily, if you think he'd jump, could you put a spare peice of screen over the tank top or something? I didn't know they jumped other than if they are having bad water conditions or parasites.

Guest Chishower

Congrats! I really should get my bettas bigger containers...*tries to not buy anything else until the move*

He sounds like a little charector, I love the name. I hate it when other people dont care much about fishies, my aunts helpful suggestion was 'get new ones when you get here'. -.-

It should be enough, but you might want to put a book over it or something. You can never be too carefull.

It sounds like Orchard is coming along nicely. Lounging on top of his stump under the leaves sounds just like typical betta behaviour :D

You can even stretch a piece of plastic wrap (like Saran wrap) over the top of the bucket, leaving an opening for air to keep him from jumping out.

Good luck with him and I can't wait to see pictures :)

:D Glad to hear that he's starting to adjust.as mentioned,never underestimate the jumping powers of a Betta,they are quite known for that and will eventually do it at some point so it's much better to be safe than sorry.Well.....Pry that Camera off of Mom & Dad! :lol:

Okay, I've got some old ten gallon tanks that were used for hamsters years ago (they are pretty gross so I don't want to risk putting fish in there even if I was able to remove all the gunk) and the top was has wire/plastic mesh. I'll go get one from the garage and put it over the top of it. Hamsters are cute and fuzzy, but they are much dirtier than fishies...and I think I like fishies better anyways :D

I think Orchard is going to be fine. He was pretty active last night...I watched him for like an hour before I went to bed! I can't wait til he's feeling well enough to make a bubble nest! I'll probably do an early water change in a few days so I can take pictures and check him out to see if he's okay. When he was in the cup there were some white fuzzies attatched to the ends of his fins in a few places but I think it was just poop because the pet store people never clean them out. Is it normal for bettas to drag their tail fins lifelessly on the bottom of the tank or over ornaments? Something tells me its normal, but I have to make sure cuz I'm a very paranoid fish parent.

I found a way to describe how his fins look. Cat owners, think of how the ribbon on your Christmas presents looks after your cat has been chewing on it. That's exactly how he looks. He's got a light colored splotch on his head that looks like it was an owie a while ago. Its not fuzzy or anything, it kinda looks like a scar. He's got a couple other nicks too. He seems like he's doing okay tho, and every day he gets braver! He used to be so shy that when he felt the vibrations thru the floor when I was walking his way, he'd shoot into his cave and hide. He's spending more time outside his cave when I watch him, and didn't get scared when I grazed the surface to pick up a hair floating on the top. He still loves to poke his head out of his caves tho :)

Do freeze-dried bloodworms loose their taste after they've been soaked so long that they are see-thru and sink to the bottom? I saw Orchard suck one up but spit it out yesterday, and now I'm a little worried cuz that is what my last goldfish Macy did when she stopped eating and died shortly after...

I'll see if I can steal the camera and figure it out! I've never been good at electronics, but I'm sure I can manage. Loading onto the computer will be the hard part! Anyways, I think they hid it, so the treasure hunt is on!

Orchard ate his blood worms today! I'm so happy :D

I sprinkled four on top and he was eyeing them for like 10 minutes. Then he slooowwwwwwwlllyy hovered to the top, and like 'milimetered' closer so slowly. Then he just sat at the surface looking at the worms. Lol he stayed up there for like 20 seconds..I was holding my breath. He finally sucked one up and I was like YAY!! but then I was worried he would spit it out. He sait there for another 15 seconds and then went after another one :D He ate three total..I think it took close to a minute. Then I moved my head and he darted back into his castle. I was so happy tho..he's eating! :D I have never seen any type of fish eat so slowly. Is he just cautious?

*happiness* :happydance

Archived