Pearlscale Info

Guest Sacreligioushippie

Guest Sacreligioushippie

I just got a :newfish .

It's a small, extremely fat "calico" pearlscale (all orange & white w/ two little black spots on his tail). He's only about 2" long including the tail and he has the prettiest slate blue eyes.

Anyway, I was wondering if there's any extra care I have to take with him. He lives with my fantail & they get along fine. The goldfish book I have isn't very reliable (it states you can but 12 goldfish in a 20 gallon). I checked another website & it said you have to add calcium to the water & keep ther ph very low. So has anyone here had a pearlscale? Do I need to treat him differently than my fantail?

~ Jessica

Guest Chishower

I :heart pearlscales!

Pearlscales are just like other goldfish, and compleatly adorable. PH can be anywhere from 6.0-8.0 as long as its stable, but the 7's are prefered. And you don't need to add calcium unless you have snails or something in there.

What size tank do you have them in now?

nope, you dont need to treat him any dfferent to your other fancy's...i got a pearlscale like yours too hehe :)

i just love him!

For some reason my pearlscale, Pudge, does not seem to realize just how plump he really is - he is constantly getting himself stuck in places he thinks he can go into, but cannot get out of..... and in the process rubbs off his pearls. When the scales grow back again - they are not pearled. They are kinda flat and not as attractive. :(

The other pearlscales that I had (RIP Click and Clack) had this problem to a lesser degree.

:)

For some reason my pearlscale, Pudge, does not seem to realize just how plump he really is - he is constantly getting himself stuck in places he thinks he can go into, but cannot get out of..... and in the process rubbs off his pearls. When the scales grow back again - they are not pearled. They are kinda flat and not as attractive.  :(

The other pearlscales that I had (RIP Click and Clack) had this problem to a lesser degree.

:)

355528[/snapback]

:( poor thing, i think mines to small right now...my pearl is about 1 or 1 1/2 inch long so the scales/pearls are too small for mine to lose them if stuck or anything :rolleyes:

but im sure your pearl is still a beautiful goldfish :D

Guest Sacreligioushippie

Thank you all for your input.

Daryl ~ Mine tries to do the same thing. I have a roman columns decoration and a little rock cave thing, but I think they'll both have to go and I'll put in some more plants.

Chishower ~ My fantail and pearlscale are the only fish in a 30 gallon with a Penguin 350 on the back. My pH stays between 7.2 & 7.4 so he should be fine.

Thanks again

~ Jessica

Archived