"rescue Ranchu"

Long, but please read....

The fish has septicemia (if thats how you spell it). It's on the lower belly part of the fish. It doesn't look too bad right now---- on the outside of the fish that it. But when the fish opens his mouth, it LOOKS REALLY RED IN THERE> The tail fins are frayed a bit and the edges look like they have ick on them.

The medicine I immediatly began to use is Mardels Maracyn-Two, which says it treats for septicemia.... I also had coppersafe for ick in the tank (which I hate because previosly to this two of my older rescue fish died with ick when using this med. since then I have always switched to salt.) The maracyn package said that I can use the coppersafe at the same time with the maracyn.....

(BTW, the tank is cycle thanks to my putting in a healthy filter cartride from my established tank and gravel as well along with some of the water from my healthy tank).

Here is what I need to know.

Is mardel's marcyn two GOOD for septicemia? or is there a better treatment?

do you reccomend using the coppersafe in cunjunction with the maracyn two? Remember the package says I can.

or can I use salt instead WHILE using the maracyn two?

If there is any better treatment regimine, PLEASE let me know. I've saved many fish before---just not with scepticemia.... I'm new at this one.

Anyway, here is the story on how I got the fish:

Okay... I went to the local "graveyard" yesterday..... (The petshops around here are SOOOOOOO nasty, that I call them cemetaries and graveyards... seriously, they are that bad to all animals)....

The owner had ONE orange ranchu whose maybe 4 inches for 6 bucks. I think she knew it was sick and that was why she was selling it to me for sooo cheap (ussuallly itty bitty goldfish cost that much at her store).

First of all this lady does not use filters or air pumps. She uses WAY to much gravel... Imeasured it before. it is the whole length oif my middle finger from the tip to the last knuckle---a whopping 3 1/2 inches in a ten gallon tank. Furthermore, to make the matters worse, the tank was overcroweded with so many plastic plants, the GF had no were to go. On top of that, I'd say the water had evaporated about 2 inches or so.......

(this is by far the worse petshop I have ever seen.... I outta sneak in and snap some pics to show you guys when she's no looking.)

I felt sorry for the fish and told her I'd think about buying it.... I was driving home and kept feeling worse and worse.

Moneys real tight right now, but I knew I had an empty ten gallon tank.... And I knew I had "fall-back" meds at home that I bought a few months ago just incase any of my fish at home ever got sick.

I whipped the car around and bought the fish as she was closing the store.

well, you already started the medication, but amptjer option was to add salt to the tank , .1% every 12 hours till you got to .3%, then raise the tempture to get the ick away.

Since you have started with the Coppersafe and the Maracyn 2, I would follow that through the full treatment. You could add Maracyn 1 to the mix, too, just to cover both gram negative and gram positive bacteria. Please remember that these medications may destroy the cycle in your filter. I know it says on the package that they won't, but others on the forum have experienced their cycles crashing after using these products. So, it is a good idea to keep a close eye on your water parameters.

After you have followed through with the full course of the medication I would assess the fish, and before adding other medications or salt to the tank, I would do several large water changes over the course of a couple of days to get most of the medication out of the tank.

Then if the fish were still ill, I would treat with a 0.3% salt solution and Parasite Clear by Jungle. Parasite Clear is a broad based product which treats both parasites and bacterial problems and I have had very good success with it.

I hope this helps and please feel free to ask questions.

BTW, how is the little ranchu doing now? I hope the little fellow can pull through after his horrible experience.

I should have also mentioned that you can use salt with Maracyn 2, but since you have the Coppersafe in the tank, maybe you should follow through with that until you do the large water changes I suggested after the course of treatment.

Well the fish is doin' ALOT better!!!

On the night of the second treatment ALL of the red marks were gone from his body externally!!!

However, the inside of his mouth is still red (not as red as before though) and it seems like its swollen a bit...

You know how a goldfish looks when they have a big mouthful of food and they are chumping on it? well, this is how he looks all day long when he's NOT eating.... I think because of the swelling.

Also, I've rescued fish before with pop eye.... this new fish has me wondering if his eyes are not in the early stage of popping out..... but the maracyn two says that it works on that as well, so GOOD! that is, if he does have it...

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

THANKS for telling me to watch my parameters!!! I better go home now and check them!

Oh almost forgot!!! the ick! they are still on the lower lower part of his tail and while they haven't gotten any worse, they haven't gotten any better... so I think after the maracyn treatment is finished, I'll do the salt like ya said.

THANKS AGAIN

Good news. I am glad that he is holding his own and improving. After this treatment, if the ich and swollen mouth hasn't improved, you could remove all of the meds from the water with a couple of big water changes and try the salt treatment along with a med called Parasite Clear by Jungle. It contains praziquantel (which treats flukes) and I have had great success with it when treating fish where I don't really know what is wrong. Also, it has been very kind to the fish and hasn't seem to stress them out.

Please keep me posted :D

Wow I didn't know parasite clear by jungle had prazi in it! cool.

Oh! hehehe, today is day five of the treatment and the ick is all gone!

His mouth look normal too!

What a great little fish I've rescued. once my mom puts new batteries in her digital camera, I'm gonna borrow it and show you this fish's picture..... when I do, I'll just post it under this thread for you, so keep your eyes ready!

For some reason the idea hit me to name my pets after trees.... probably because I think trees and fish are my two favortie things. Anyways, I know its weird and all, but I named this one Gingko after the gingko tree....

I do have a couple more questions for you though. gingko has one or perhaps two scales on his belly area that are darker than the rest.... this fish is all oraange, and his belly gets lighter... but the one or two scales are just a darker color---just a darker orange... I don't know if he was always like this since I just rescued him--but I'm thinking it might be normal. What do you think?

Well, I do have other questions that I need answered, but I'm going to post them under a new thread.

Thanks so much for your help!

Also, I have an itty bitty pearlescent in another tank (30 g) that has two other fish in it. QUITE awhile back, one of his/her scales turned red. I watched closely, and the red only stayed under one scale, it never streaked or anything like scepticemia

Archived