What Constitutes A 0.3% Solution

I have several papers that I have printed out from here at kokos where people taught me that a .3% salt solution is reached by adding:

one TABLESPOON of salt per gallon.

I have used this before for TWO weeks with no problems what so ever in the past---I've rescued many fish with Ick.....

But today, I've been reading other peoples post in here a bit and twice now I have read that a .3% is reached by adding:

one TEASPOON per gallon of water.............

What gives?

Thanks,

SaMMiE

its either 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons (u.k 3 gallons) or 1 teaspoon per gallon.

i think the correct dose is around 3 to 5 grams in weight but need someone to clarify better.

over to you touchofsky :lol:

the 1 tablespoon per gallon would i believe give you the full 3% in one go but its less stressful for the fish to add it gradually. I think i'm going to retreat from this one before i confuse myself....again. Theres a great topic on it somewhere which explained it to me but i will need to go search for it.

Oh, yeah, I always did it in three seperate doses....

This Is why I think it it soooo weird...

an actual tablespoon per gallon would have been a DANGEROUS salt dip constantly for two weeks , but my tanks never crashed and my rescue fish that I bought always healed fast and lived....

weird or what?

IT also depends on the grain size of salt....

With my brand of salt, what I have udnerstood is that 1 tablespoon for 10 gallons is .1%, and if your going to rasie it to .3%, you need to do it in 12 hour shifts :exactly

I don't use normal table salt, I use Morton's canning and pickling salt as I was advised here because it it the cheapest way to go and It doesn't have any chemicals added to it---- it is pure salt....

The grains are very very small, they look like the size of normal table salt.

mine is rock-salt like, (dr. wellgoods or something like that, would have to check the box) but you would need to use LESS salt if its fine grain , but I have no idea why, I use the Dr. Wellgood as its easy to measure out and find.

If you are using aquarium pharmacueticals aquarium salt or a salt of the same average granule size, then this is the way to reach different salinities (note the grams per liters and that all tsp are level) :

UK gallons and measurements

% ........gm/l.......... oz........ tsp

0.1%.....1gm......... 0.16....... 1

0.3%.... 3gm......... 0.48..... 2 3/4

0.9%..... 9gm........ 1.44....... 8

3.0%..... 30gm....... 4.8........ 27

US gallons and measurements

%....... gm/l......... oz....... tsp

0.1%... 1gm........ 0.13..... 3/4

0.3%.... 3gm....... 0.4...... 2 1/2

0.9%.... 9gm........ 1.2..... 6 1/4

3.0%.... 30gm...... 4.0...... 22 1/2

I hope this helps! :D

i read his earlier, and though, no idea, Paul will know thou.... so glad you posted. i'm gonna keep this for future ref. always handy :)

So does anyone know how much I should use when it comes to salt that is fine grain?

I don't don't don't and won't switch back to aquarium pharmacueticals brand when I KNOW how much I save when it comes to morton's canning and pickling salt. four whole pounds cost four bucks where I live...

Sadly none of the pet shops around here sell those salinity readers....

Hmmmm, thats a tough question. I do not have digital scales anymore. But, you could probably bring a sample of your salt to somewhere that either has triple beam scales or digital scales and weigh out a perfect gram. When you do, keep it separated until you can measure the gram in teaspoons.

Other than that, Maybe someone else knows....... :unsure:

I found this line on this page. I'm not sure I would trust it as fact but I thought it might help:

One tablespoon of kosher salt equals two teaspoons of table salt.

Here's the page: http://www.showcook.co.za/salt.htm

So, if one tablespoon equals 3 teaspoons, then you would need a tad over 1 1/2 teaspoons per US gallon. That is an estimate. But, the EXACT salinity isn't so important as the duration of the treatment. I would estimate that you would be very close to your target of 0.3%.

Good luck! :)

UK gallons and measurements

% ........gm/l.......... oz........ tsp

0.1%.....1gm......... 0.16....... 1

0.3%.... 3gm......... 0.48..... 2 3/4

0.9%..... 9gm........ 1.44....... 8

3.0%..... 30gm....... 4.8........ 27

355388[/snapback]

really really glad you posted this, as i need to salt my tank now! :)

Hey thanks alot!

Boy. I was told to use a tablespoon of the stuff PER gallon several times from this website and from other websites!!!! While ti would have been an actual salt dip in my MAIN tanks though, it NEVER crashed my bio-bugs or my fish. whoooo.... close one

Also, several months down the road I want to start a salt water tank with a mandarin dragonet..... I will have to buy a salt thingy ma-bob :) then so I'll be able to let ya know if that web page was close or not!

Archived