Have You Ever Noticed...............?

Jeana727

I have noticed that just about EVERY Chinese resturant has a big tank (or even a pond) of Goldfish (even Koi). They usually have a lot of fish in the tanks too! (Alot of the time they are PACKED in there!) But the fish seem healthy.

Anyone else ever notice this? :fishtank

yeh most of them near me do, and the indian, The one in Indian is not over stocked, the chinese one is, but tis crystal clear and healthy fish - they proably just keep on with water changes.

i went to a chinese once and they had a tank and the water was green! i was not happy.

:D

I think that most of us know that goldfish originate in China--actually goldfish are in the carp family and were domesticated and bred by the Chinese for at least a thousand years.

So, it is not unusual to see them in a Chinese restaurant. The Chinese practice of Feng Shui states that keeping goldfish brings prosperity to a business (or home).

BTW, green water is not unhealthy--it is free floating algae--it just looks bad

:D

Just want to add my tuppence.

Chinese superstition:

Goldfish are very good at absorbing bad mojo. If a fish dies, then it took something bad that was intended for the owner. Therefore, a lot of Chinese people have a high turnover of fish.

The fish you see in a restaurant may be new!!

Slugger :)

Hi Slugger,

I have heard that before. A couple of years ago when one of my fish died, a friend told me that.

Interesting idea..... but it didn't make me feel any better about losing an 8 year old goldie. :(

Guest Chishower

The resteraunt in our town has a tiny little pond with a fountain and air pump in it, and there is hardly any room for all those fish. But I also know that those are the same fish that have been in there sense I was little, unless they are getting new fish with the exact same markings. O.o

My school has a tiny pond with too many fish as well, big beautiful koi, but they are horrible at taking care of it. I wonder where the fishies are this summer...

:exactly I know Chinese "created" goldfish & keeping them is very important to them.

I think I'm gonna ask how they keep them so big and healthy! Just to see what they say. ;)

Hello~

my parents and uncle and autie own a local Chinese Restaurant and we dont have any tanks or goldfish in da shop..but i do at home :D

i got a chinese friend whos dad owns a Japanese Sushi Shop and he does have koi and goldfish together in one big tank..i think more than 100gallons :fishtank most likely a 160g-200g.

its a dream tank :thumbup

and the Sushi food there ....just delicious :food:feedme

Fish are supposed to be good luck! especially Arowana's and Koi ;)

Remember, that their tanks maybe overstocked, but they prolly have a professionaly cleaninmg service monitering the tanks every change.... (At my work we sell these neat meters that SCREAM when the amonia/nitrates/etc go out of balace, very exspensive though!)

Fish are supposed to be good luck! especially Arowana's and Koi ;)

Remember, that their tanks maybe overstocked, but they prolly have a professionaly cleaninmg service monitering the tanks every change.... (At my work we sell these neat meters that SCREAM when the amonia/nitrates/etc go out of balace, very exspensive though!)

355489[/snapback]

woohoo they scream eh?? :o awesome :lol:

yep! BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEsomeoneshutmeupEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

ive seen em at chinese places, but the place we had my graduation party at(an italian restaurnat) had about a 55 gal tank with 12 or more(moving too fast and crowded to count) BIIIIIIIIG commons/commets in there. and i humongo pleco...i mean that things mouth coulda fit a quarter! I took pix of it cuz it was sparkling clean looking, and none of hte fish showed any signs of anything. *searches for pix*

I've never gone to a chinese resturant with goldfish or koi in it :( Its probably cuz I live in stupid AZ lol. I do remember when we lived in Tucson one had a tank packed full of gigantic silverish fish. I was really young so I couldn't tell you what kind they were, lots of shapes tho. I look back now and wonder how could anyone miss me being a fish lover now :)

ps: My dad told me that they were for decoration AND eating X_X I have a feeling now that they weren't for eating tho. I hope not!

Well it only makes sense, since goldfish have an asain backround and where better to express it than at an asain resturant :D Once, I went to a chinese buffet, and I saw a tank with different kinds of orandas and there was an angel fish in the tank with them :o But they all seemed fine together, even though there was a moor laying upside down in the tank from an effect of a bad case of swim bladder :(

Number one reason I love going to China town in San fransisco, the beautiful goldfish EVERYWHERE! At home though the Chinese resturants have yet to get goldies, they do have those "food" fish tanks that are fun to look at when you're little none the less. Don't like them anymore though because they're so small, even if they're to be eaten. :( Asian food specialty stores are soo much fun to go to, they have so many neat live seafood iteams you can't help but be like, "Woah, I can start a whole invertibrate salt tank and buy them form here." Turtles too, but I don't think I could ever eat a turtle.

Sorry for digressing! It'd be nice to go into a Chinese resturant with goldfish. :)

Guest Mfish

I'm convinced Chinese people have magic powers to keep huge tanks of fish live and healthy. I'm half Chinese and go to all the ethnic resturants around Dallas. Every place has a great fish tank. One place has an awesome Arowana, hes one of the coolest fish I've ever seen. Another has the best Blood Parrot fishes in a tank probaly way too small for them. The tanks are always sparkling clean and I can't figure out how they do it. Also the fish are always so big and sometimes live through terrible conditions. I think its something about the fish food. Who knows? :D

i wish my restaurant had a fish tank in there :(

hehe maybe i should buy a huge tank and buy some goldies for it ! then it would look good! :P

the chinese near me doesnt have goldfish but it does have a HUGE tank!!!! must be around 300 gals!!! they have some vegetarian pirhanas, an upside down catfish, and lots of other humongous fishies!!

they look pretty healthy but id say it is a little overstocked and its totally bare, barebottom and everything, they just swim in circles, like goldies in a bowl..

Guest Esareh

I absolutely HATE HATE HATE to grave dig, but when this was posted my computer wasnt working. I just HAVE to make this comment. This one chinese rresturant my dad takes me too, theres this CRAZY cashier! i always look at the goldies and he ALWAYS says "you pick dinner!" I think hes a little... LOOPY!

Archived