Rock Got Stuck In Throat

Its just been one thing after another lately! This evening I came into my room to put PJ's on, and look inside the tank, and my beloved Chubbster glass, and he is on the bottom, his head facing down, and his butt sticking up... He looked about dead. I tapped on the glass and he moved alittle bit.. ... and what do i see, A ROCK LODGING HIS HIS THROAT!! I was sooo freaked out. I have large rock in there, and then their covered by river rock.. but he somehow got to the medium ones... and some how got it in his throat. I yelled for my fiance, and he ran in.... and I grabbed tweezers and a net, and ryan litteraly scooped him into his hands, out of the water, and stuch the tweezers in to get it out! I was sooo afraid. It kept going further and further down, and luckily when he lost grip of the fish.. the rock came out! It was horrible. I couldnt even watch!

:yikes sorry to hear about your rock in the throat Jess :(

one of my goldfish Chii had the same problem a couple of weeks ago i was scared too !! but luckily i got it out tooo :wacko:

Oh gosh....I know exactly how you feel. My fish woke me up in the middle of the night because it was thrashing around the tank and the rock that was stuck in her mouth was clicking on the glass. I almost had a heart attack too.

Hopefully everything is ok with your fish Jess.

Yes, Chubbster is doing pretty well today. He has been alittle lazy, but seems pretty normal. He's probably saying to himself "thank you soooo much" I was sooo scared! Ive never ever had that happen before! Poor little guy. I for sure thought my fiance was going to kill him when he was trying to get it out of his mouth. I couldnt even watch! I saw him pick him up out of the water, but that was it... after that I turned away... and kept thinking of blood flying everywhere! I didnt know what to expect! One funny thing out of the whole thing was, my mom was over, and I come running out, and am like theres a rock stuck in chubbster mouth, you have to get it out... and my mom comes running in, and is like I gotta see this! And she sat and watched the whole thing..... I was shocked!

Glad to hear he is doing fine now Jessica. :) Whew, I know that is scary! I have seen mine get a rock but as I was going to get tweezers, he flashed real hard through the water and it came out....Thankfully! It's great Ryan was so quick to help you out though! :D

Tweezers are certainly indispensible in the fish equipment kit, no?

I had that happen to one of my fish almost 3 years ago, and the tweezers did get it out. I made sure that rock stayed out the tank, after that. I still have small gravel in my tank, but they will be moving this coming weekend, and I plan to take out a substantial amount of it then... bummer that it does work so well for anchoring down plants

--Mav

Yeah I know... smaller rocks are awsome for keeping the plants down... I think im gonna go with more river rock over top of the smaller gravel. There are a few spots that the rock have gotten moved around, and the smaller gravel is showing... so thats probably where chubbster got it from! LOL....All I know is, I keep those tweezers in my special box with goldie first aid stuff!!!! Their a must have! Never know when you'll need them... and with my luck, I loose tweezers all the time....

Guest graceful fins

That happened to one of my fish too!! I was 10, and my very first goldfish, he was 2 at the time, tried to swallow a rock. It was in the middle of the night and I was awaken by him flipping around on the floor. evidently he was darting around in the tank, hit the top, knocked it open, and landed on the floor. It was soo scary to wake up to such an emergency! He was ok though. I had him for another 5 years and he outgrew his tank. He then went to my neighbors 280 gallon custom wall tank. He was soooo happy!

Heather:)

PS I am glad he's ok! He was lucky that someone was at home!!

The weird thing is, when I came in, Chubbster wasnt freaking out or anything, just istting with his head down, and butt up on the bottom.... Maybe he had it in for awhile... and just gave up. Im glad I found him when i did, because by the lookds of him when I came in, he looked like he was dying fast... Who knows if I would have waited 20 more minutes to come put PJs on!

Guest graceful fins

It just wasn't his time to go to fishie heaven. He is meant to still be with you!!!!

Heather

OooooH! I am so afraid of this! What I am not home when it happens :( .

That it! I 'm getting new gravel - FAST! When GN was little, I got these larger river rocks so he would not choke - now he is huge and the rocks for perfectly in his mouth... So, is smaller gravel better for big fish?

We are sooooo happy for you that you got that rock out in time! :heart

Archived