Delfinnia Is Deceased...

Guest ETSoldwishZoole

Guest ETSoldwishZoole

Came home this evening to find Delfinnia Fischbach floating nose up in the tank. Icthius and the kids seem to be ok, but I dread telling our five year old in the morning.

I don't know how to test the tank, although I can take a sample into our mmm in the morning and they'll do it. It's a 10 gal tank, a Biowheel filtration system. We have had five fish in the tank since March of this year. Del was the largest, maybe 2", with Icthius (he's our oldest) slightly smaller. Neptune and Pluto are much smaller, and Venus is actually a red minnow, but my son liked her.

Yesterday after changing out about 2 gallons, I dropped in some AmmoLock into the tank - recently had been advised to use it because of the ammonia goldfish produce. Should I have mixed it with some of the water instead of dripping it directly in the tank? The directions didn't say anything about that, but that's the only different thing I've done recently.

I am, obviously, not exactly knowledgable on goldfish but I had hoped to be able to maintain this tank because my kids (and cats) so enjoy watchng them.

Are the others in danger? We've looked closely at the Dear Departed (saving her for full rites in the a.m.), and she appears to have a blood streaked eye. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Liz

:welcome first your tank is way over stocked.it's 10 gallon per goldfish.So it might be the cause.I'm pretty sure you just put it in not mix it before adding.Your other fish should be closely examined for the next few days too.You should buy another tank and add some inot it.And did you cycle the tank?

Oh and so sorry for your fish. :(:grouphug

Guest ETSoldwishZoole

Ummm... cycle the tank?

Liz

ps - will take a look around this website for info on cycling the tank...

I don't know how to link but it's on the home page.Go back to the homepage and there is a bar on the left with a picture of the goldie of the week.There are some information on it.Scroll down until you find the wods Cycle of the tank.

Guest ETSoldwishZoole

:blink: Holy Cow! I had no idea so much was involved - and I thought fish would be such an easy, non-stress pet to take care of (unlike the cats who are peeing all over the sawdust piles in the basement left during remodeling...)

The goldfish we have are little 10 cent feeder fish from the local mmm, nothing special as far as breed. Are there hardier breeds I should be looking for as a lazy tank owner?

This site has so much information, I hardly know where to start. I'm afraid a bigger tank isn't an option in the short-term, but I can certainly start changing the water more frequently and buy a test kit. Why would they have seemed to be doing just fine up til now, if it's the tank size? Icthius was in a little 1 gallon hexagon happily for a couple of years before we decided to get him a larger home in the burbs and a pre-fab family.

Liz

yes koko's is also where i learn about goldies.And you got the slim body so it's the hardiest type of goldie you can get.An easier fish is the betta.It's beautiful, doesn't need too much room,and live 3 to 5 years.Only keep one betta since the males fight with each other.One betta needs about two gallons.Go to the betta section of the board to learn more. :)

Guest ETSoldwishZoole

How much room do guppies need? My little guy really wants to watch a FAMILY of fish (we've just adopted a sister for him from China, and he's into to talking about and learning about families).

I used to have a beta in the old hexagonal gallon tank several years ago (pre-married with children), and I might get another one for it for the interim if the rest of the Fischbach family bites the rocksalt. I guess what we need is to find out what kind of fish do well with relatively little space. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Liz :krazy:

All i can tell you is that guppies are not that easy to keep.So how about female bettas?You can keep 5 or 6 in a 10 gallon.And if you do want guppies go to the tropical's section.

Guest ETSoldwishZoole

:yeah: Female betas? Good idea! Hope we don't have to start over with a new family, but if we do that sounds like a plan.

I'll try taking water in to test in the morning, and hope we don't have any more casualties.

Thanks for your help,

Liz

Archived