fishyfan7

Params:

Ammonia = 0

Nitrite = 0

Nitrate = 10 ppm

ph = 7.5

The tank is vacummed weekly and 25% of the water is changed then

Size = 46 gallons

Number of fish = 2 comets (until today, now there is 1) and 1 Shubunkin. The dead guy was about 4 inches without tail and the other two are maybe 2 inches

Filtration = double bio wheel

Water conditioner = NovAqua

No meds added to tank

Feeding = 1 daily, varied diet (flakes, sinking pellets, gel food, Spirolina, Frozen Brine, Peas)

My 4 inch Comet started acting lethargic today...he was sitting on the bottom of the tank and kind of resting on the edge. When he did swim,he was pointed slightly nose down. Otherwise, physically, he looked fine....no visible signs of parasite. He did seem to be breathing slightly heavy. By 4 pm this afternoon, he was dead. :cry

The other 2 are acting fine....but I worry that Teka died of an internal bacterial infection...when he was bottom sitting this am, I thought may it was just constipation and fed them peas and was preparing to fast for the next 3 days...however, he didn't make it that long. Now my question is how to protect the other 2....salt won't help if it is an internal bacterial infection, right? I did go to the store and buy a medicated fish food in case Teka hadn't responded to the constipation treatment...should I start feeding this to the "healthy" ones just in case? Or could this do more harm than good?

I have tried to think if there was anything that may have poisoned Teka but I can't think of anything...I did get the carpets shampood on Tuesday but they did not spray anything around the tank.... :cry:cry

I read your exact symptoms somewhere but I can't find it. <_<

I am certain however, it is some type of parasite. Salt will kill all parasites except flukes so I suggest that you salt your tank to .3%. That is 3 teaspoons of salt per gallon. Keep the tank salted for 14 days.

You can use aquarium salt, (multiply recommended dose x 3) or rock salt, sea salt or kosher salt available at your supermarket. I would add .15% first, then 12hrs later add another .15%. That is quite a lot of salt to dissolve and add to the tank, if you can find Seachem Gold Salt the measured amount is much smaller in bulk than 1 teaspoon, I find it a much quicker and easier way to salt in large doses.

Parasites can and do cause internal infections, often they go unnoticed until they get to the internal stage. Hmmn, for further advice see the thread pinned at top of Disease/Diagnosis page "Members needing help with diagnosis" by Toothless. I hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

well the other 2 are acting ok so far....though they both have long thin poops (that stay there forever!)...the poops are kind of kinked and are light white (almost opaque) mixed with green. I know they can't be constipated bc I only feed a tiny pinch 1 time per day. They eat the food in less than 10 seconds (little piggies!). They get a variety too...I switch up: Wardleys flakes, Omega 1 flakes, frozen brine, peas, gel food, spirolina, sinking pellets. I tried peas and then fasting for 3 days just in case but that didn't do anything different. So now, I am trying the medicated food in case there is an internal bacterial infection. So any other thoughts would be appreciated!

Oh, I also tried a .3% salt solution for 14 days....actually will be taking out some of the salt tonight when I do their weekly water change.

I noticed that they have been swimming nearer the bottom lately...not resting there...just swimming lower than normal...wondering if the anti-bacterial food is making them more constipated than normal? The protein content is pretty high. But the meds say to feed that exclusively for 5-10 days. I will make sure to feed peas and fast after the treatment. I'm hoping to feed only 2 more days worth of meds.

Archived