My Fish Is Sick!

Guest Kirstie

Guest Kirstie

Help! :ill

My fish is sick, its fins and tail look like they have been munched at by the other fish in my tank. One fish is fine but the one that is sick has developed a white furry coating to its whole body and looks very fat as though it is bloated. I have tested the PH Levels and changed the water, I also added some PH Formular as the Alkaline was very high in the test.

Would you be able to tell me what is wrong with my fish, as I said before it has developed a white furry coating all over its body, is lifeless and looks very bloated.

Could this be a disease or from the water having too much Alkaline in it?

Please help, my fish looks as though it doesn't have very long left.

:( Hi Kirstie,I'm really sorry to hear about your fish not feeling well. In order to help you figure out how to treat him,I'd really appreciate it if you could try and answer the questions above in the red box.The more we know,the closer we can hit it on the nail for you. Post soon!

Guest Kirstie

What kind of Water additives or conditioners?

Any Medications add to the tank?

I use the Aqua One Water Conditioner, I have not yet added any medications to the water as I do not yet know what is wrong. I have seperated the sick fish from the tank for now until I know how i can cure him.

What do you feed your fish?

I feed my fish Aqua One Flake Food although I did try Multi-Mix by Masterpet, they did not seem to like it.

Any unusual behavior? Like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..?

My sick fish is swiming around lifeless and not eating now.

How often do you change the water and how much?

I do a 50% water change every two weeks and I do a Full Clean as well as Filter Cartridge every 8 Weeks as I was instructed to do.

Any unusual findings on the fish? Such as

"grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins, fungus?

The sick fish has like a white furry coat all over and looks like its fins and tail have been eaten by my other fish.

If you can what is the chloramines Level

from the Tap?

There is no chlorine in the water as we live on an Island and only use filtered rain water.

What kind of Filtration?

We are using a Aqua One Hang-On Filter which was with the tank when purchased.

Unsure of any other chemical levels as the person we got our fish from, did a chemical test on the water and found the Alkaline levels to be very high, and gave us some solution to add to the water when we changed it, I have now done that.

I'm sorry your fish died last night kirstie, I may be able to shed a bit of light on what happened.

A similar thing happened to one fish in a tank of mine when I mixed filtered tap water with regular tap water for their water change. The other fish were not effected. The filtered water was very soft and although it didn't alter the pH (due to buffering) it must have altered the water hardness.

One particular fish went very swollen, developed a type of sore with white stuff poking through, also wasn't eating. Re-changing the water did not make him well again but several days of force fed epsom solution to reduce the bloating had him back to normal and eating within around 3 days.

Archived