Dead Rubbernose Pleco

Hi all.

My rubbernose pleco Dale died a few days ago. I wasn't very close to him so it wasn't all that bad, but I just want to know exactly why he died. The water is pristine, none of the fish were bothering him, and the walls were covered with green and brown algae for him to eat. My mom commented that when I stopped feeding gel food, he started sucking on the fake plants, almost desperate for food. A few days later, he was dead. I just want to know why he died. Any help is appreciated.

Danielle

Hi Danielle - Even thought you were that close, I am sorry to hear about your Pleco. It is never nice to have to go through that... I am no expert on plecos but I know they like slightly acidic water, maybe the pH changed - judt enough to affect him? I know with my otos that they needed a great deal more food than I realized they were eating - as horrible as it sounds, maybe he did not get enough algae after the change in food? Although, I think it would take a little while to starve... there are some good pleco sites around that might have more clues - and lots of pleco companions here with experience - hopefully, they will chime in soon! Best of luck to you.

Ive found that with plecos, although there may be tons of algea in the tank for them eat, they really should be fed algea waffers, and other foods. They keep the tank nice and clean, but really should be fed a couple times a week. I have 2 in my 55 gallon, and although the keep the algea down, I still feed them.

Sorry about your pleco. Although you were'nt very close the the fish.. it still sucks. :heart

yea i think it might not have been getting enough food... i have heard lots that they need extra food even tho theere may be loads of algea.. are you gonna try another one?

Archived