This Newbie Thinks Y'all Rock!

Guest tgrogan

Guest tgrogan

Hello all,

I'm one of those clueless people who (just last night) won a "feeder" goldfish at the county fair, and, with no experience whatsoever, decided to try to keep it alive. I brought it home in its cramped little container, not knowing when it had last eaten or had its water cleaned/changed, or how often such things should be done or what products to use , and only the vague idea that a slightly bigger bowl might be a good thing. I spent most of last night cruising the Internet looking for info, and really hit the "goldie mine" here!

Thanks to you knowlegable souls who are so willing to share information, I am now the proud owner of a 10-gallon tank complete with filter (and gravel and fake plants and rock-like decor), and various water-chemistry testing and modifying solutions and gizmos. And the little guy/gal is calmly exploring! Will pay extra attention to the cycling advice, for awhile, but feeling confident enough to give my silvery little Common a name: Samak (Arabic for "fish").

Thank you all so much for sharing of yourselves in this forum. I'm looking forward to being a fish-mom.

--Tammy

Awesome! :D:welcome

Your going to do just fine. Pay real close attention to the cycling page here and you'll bring your goldie through it all without a hitch!

One thing though, Have you been able to find Prime or amquel plus as your primary water conditioner? As mentioned on the cycling page, you can use one of these to make all the ammonia and nitrItes (as well as chlorine and heavy metals) that form be harmless to your goldie. I highly suggest its use. ;)

Sorry about that. I think your in very capable hands here and wish you the best of luck with your new little wiggler! :D

Paul

:D Hiya Tammy-Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you're off to a good start allready! Once you get through the cycling part,you'll be enjoying that little goldie for sure! Good Luck!

Always such a great feeling when I read posts like this. I'm so happy for you as I was once in the same boat as you were Tammy. Thank god for KOKO's or I'd still have a problem on my hands.

Guest Chishower

Hi! And welcome to Koko's. At least you did you're homework, thats better than alot of people.

That is one lucky fish to have such a smart person take him home.

Hi Tammy :D You're right when you said you hit the "goldie mine" ! It's wonderful that Samak (love the name btw) was lucky enough to come home with you! :hi5

Best of luck with your cycling....you're doing great as a fish mom already! :exactly

:welcome Your little Samak sure is lucky that you came here right away!

This is a great site, full of information and friendly people - you will have so much fun being a fish "companion"! Don't forget to post some :photo:

Guest graceful fins

Hello and welcome!!!!!!!!!

You are in great hands here! Anytime you have a ?, just ask. Everyone here is soooooooo helpful! Not to mention very intelligent and friendly!

Heather

Archived