Bubble Nests?

aqua

Do bettas have to be a certain age before they begin to build bubble nests? because my betta dose not seem to be fully grown and he hasn't built bubble nest yet. Is there anything else that would effect him building a bubble nest?

I have only had him for about a week, he is in a filtered 2.5 gallon tank, I don't have a heater right now but I will make sure to get before winter, but he seems to be very healthy and active. I have also got some live plants in the tank and half of a Styrofoam cup just in case he dose decide to build a bubble nest.

Bettas can build nests basicly at any age over 3 months. A heater will perk his building appettite and maybe the filter current has the surface at too much movement? They tend to like calm waters, to curve flow buy plastic canvas (.25 cents) at a craft store and slip it under where the water flows out. He's fairly new too, it might take time for him to get accustomed to his enviroment. No fret, he'll be nesting soon as he settles in.

Guest Chishower

Some bettas are just like that. I know my peanut won't blow bubble nests anymore, and some of my friends bettas never did in the first place. Try showing him his reflection every once in awhile, get his confidence up.

i had my betta for 10 months or so and never once did i see a nest. He just didn' twant to know, I did as Chishower have a mirror (like a budgie cage mirroe) hung on side of tank for him. he seemed to like taht :) i think my current was a bit fast for him thou.

This is the type of filter I have post-4157-1120429414_thumb.jpg, he seems to be okay with it, because I adjusted the bubble flow to reduce the amount of current that it produced. He flared for the first time today ^_^ and I noticed that when he dose flare he gets 2 metallic baby pink stripes behind his eyes. :heart

Guest Chishower

Awwww...sounds adorable.

My betta couldnt have a filter. I tried it, and he just kept getting his tail sucked into it (even when it was on low power) so I just took it off.

He is a mean little fish though. One time, he bit my finger and I jerked back, he he came out of the water still hanging onto my finger. :blink:

Awwww...sounds adorable.

My betta couldnt have a filter.  I tried it, and he just kept getting his tail sucked into it (even when it was on low power) so I just took it off.

He is a mean little fish though.  One time, he bit my finger and I jerked back, he he came out of the water still hanging onto my finger.  :blink:

355470[/snapback]

poor thing ...

on note on bubble nests,

do NOT fill your tank to the top.

This applies to fish bowls and aquariums,

there must be a gap between the surface and the water.

(this helps with the oxygen diffusion and keeps the air between the surface and the water humid)

also, try and get a heater.

A heater helps keep the water warm and humid. This is important for keeping the bubbles sticky, so they won't pop.

one more thing....

if you have a filter, adjust it to the WEAKEST suction.

A strong current and surface agitation will keep POPPING the bubbles

Archived