Grrr...lfs Person

Whirlwind

Warning:

Kinda long post ahead

Well,I went into mmm today to buy one of those tank buddies to raise the P.H becasue it was tremendously low-6.0-I've always had good effects with it and didnt have enough left for my big tank.I also took a sample with me to test the Nitrates-I was SURE they were high.So I got it tested and then he said my water was horrible and tested it like 2 more times and then said my water was TRASH :angry: And then when I was asking him he could right down the numbers he thought I was asking him how to fix it.Then I told him I wanted exactly what the params are.Then he said it's "color-coded" so there are no numbers when there are numbers right below the colors.So I dont know exactly whats wrong <_< And then he started giving a long talk about what I need to do and everything.Which I already knew.And it also looked like he was aiming all the info to my grandfather.I cant help that I look like I'm 8 :rolleyes: So then he also told me when you feed them turn the filter of becasue then it'll fall to the floor and rot or get sucked up and be left there.I knew if it fell the gf would eat it up and if it got sucked up the bacteria would eat it.So I just listened bored to death and tehn he said I should feed them once ever other day and 2 times a day was WAY to much.He also asked me what type of testkit I use.I told him drops and he said the strips are more accurate and I should get those.And then above all that I heard him talking to another person about my tank which I dont think was good.I only heard him say "Her tank was-".Then some other stuff not concernign fish happened.Then I went home and put the P.H stuff in.I tested the Amonia and Nitrites and they were both at 0.And I dont have Nitrates though. <_<

I wish people wouldnt think I no nothing becasue I'm 12 and look like I'm 8-10. :exactly

And thats my long post-I warned you it was kinda long

You did great though hun, let ignorant, nasty people who think they know everything have their way. You know why? Because something will happen to them 10 times worse, karma, what comes around goes around. Don't let it get to you, that's the trick.

It was aso very improffesional of him to tell other customers about your tank unless strictly as an example, or at least NOT talk behind your back while you were still at the store. The nerve of those people, ah well they'll get it in the end.

That is really rude and unprofessional of him. And dont feel bad for looking young?Im 26 and most people think Im in high school, so I dont always get taken seriously either. I have a friend at work who is 20 but looks much older, and when he and I are together, the customers will ask him for help rather than me because he looks older. Its very frustrating (although he is a very nice, helpful guy).

As for your water, do you know why the pH is so low? Im just wondering if something in your tank is causing it or if its always been that low. What is it out of your tap?

You may consider adding something to buffer your water, such as some crushed coral or seashells (like you would use to raise pH in a saltwater tank). Constantly adding things like the pH up can be harmful because they cause sudden changes.

Guest Phreno

I'm a firm believer in karma too. Don't worry, you know better than to listen to stupid people. Maybe you should but a nitrates test? Then you wouldn't have to go through that again.

Lol, I think the guy must have done the tests wrong or something! :D

Don't stress it too much. Why, with all of us combined here at Kokos, weve got several hundred years of experience in keping goldfish. That is all the backing you will ever need. ;)

This guy was obviously not very well informed if he thought that strips were more accurate than dropper tests. The truth is, he is a salesman and his job is to sell you something that you will have to come back and get very soon. Hence, the unbelievably expensive test strips. They can make quite a bit more money from you using test strips than dropper kits.

As for your pH problems. I think that if you post in the water chemistry forum, you will get some very good advice on how to correct this without ever having to go to a pet store to buy an expensive product. All you will need is pure baking soda. Its cheap, easy and safe too! Anyway, start yourself a thread there and I think you will be pleased. B)

Paul

Guest Chishower

That was downright rude of them.

Luckely, I never had that problem. I made it my business to meet all the people at my mmm and make sure they knew who I was. Of course, I make their lives miserable with all my difficult questions...gotta keep em on their toes!

Next time you go in there, wow them with all your knowledge. Just don't be rude about it. (another mistake I have made before....x.x)

lol,thanks.He was auctually talking to another worker.I have no idea why it suddenly became so low.It was fine then both my tanks went down to 6.0.The tank buddies I'm using is supposed to do it really slowly or something like that so they wont go into P.H shock.

I'm a believer in karma to ^_^

I'll was going to test my tap water anyway ^_^

Thanks

I believe in carma, too. :exactly I can't believe he would do something like that. I love my workers at mmm, I never get to talk to them though, usually when i go in there I know exactly what I need, cuz I ask you guys(lol) :D .One time though when my Bubble Eye Had fungus and I didn't know what it was I took some picures and had a water test to see what was wrong, the man was very helpful and through, I was scared my other fish would contract what my baby had.

pretty much what everyone else said. He's stupid and ignorant and your not. Sometimes you have to deal with ignorant people...yah I know it sucks the way it turns out like that. I'm 16 but look 12ish I guess so i know where you're coming from.

Also, Duh its color coded, but colors need numbers too. It sounds like this guy was new and didn't know what he was doing, or just really lazy, because right on the color chart there are numbers underneath each shade (at least with all the test kits I've seen) Maybe try and go to another pet place?

Geez what a putz that guy was!!!!

Usually when I go into one of the "two well known fish chains" I am shocked at how many dead fish they have on display!!

When I sometimes find a fish there that I can't resist my hubby (who is not a fish expert) always reminds me that most of my casualties have come from one of the 2 big stores!!

Hi jeanna. :)

The thing about ALL fish stores is this:

It wouldn't be cost effective for them to treat every sick fish that comes their way. If they did, they would lose money. And LOTS of it. Could you imagine if they had a tank for each malady expressed by the fish? They would have to have ten extra tanks just for the parasite infested fish alone. Compound that with all of the bacterial ailments and you'll wind up with 30 tanks of fish with a different medication in each. This is NEVER going to happen.

It is entirely up to the consumer to quarentine and treat ALL new arrivals for 1 month before adding to an established tank. If this isn't done, casualties can and will most certainly happen. So, with this in mind, I feel that ALL new fish are to be quarentined and treated for parasites. Regardless of their symptoms (or lack thereof). There are 3 compounds that can quickly destroy all of the parasites we commonly see on our fish. They are also 100% non-toxic to fish and your bio-filter. The are as follows:

Salt - kills costia, ich, chilodonella, trichodina

Praziquantel - kills all flukes and tapeworms

Dimilin - kills all crustacean parasites like ergasilus, lernea, argulus and the like

So, it seems that no matter where you get your fish from, you CAN save a lot of heartache by quarentining ALL new arrivals, regardless of where they come from or what they look like.

Hope this helps! :D

Guest calico4

There is a guy at a lfs and my mom calls him bolling ball, because hes really fat ;) . SHe doenst like him because he is really nosey.

-calico

ok, that guy is AN IDIOT! (I work for mmm, so I can say so)

1. It says what the numbers are UNDER the colors on the chart. TELL HIM that if you ever go back

2. Dont turn your filter off! you just risk damaging it if it runs dry

3. Everyone customer should be treated equaly, regardless of age, color, gender, personality or what time they come into the store.... (the last two I have problems with heh....)

4. The drops are FAR more accurate. If he cant tell you the numbers, that tells ya something...

5. If you EVER get treated like that again, tell the manager. if they don care, call the customer concern hotline, which is on either the small animal habitats or the reptile habitats ;) get his snoty butt in trouble.

You all should come to my mmm. I'll bore you with endless goldie chatter, show you the kewl books, and rare fish ;)

and dont feel to bad hun, Im 20 and look about 14. :D just think, then your 40, you'll look 30, while others will be 40, and look 60 ;)

Hi jeanna. :)

The thing about ALL fish stores is this:

It wouldn't be cost effective for them to treat every sick fish that comes their way. If they did, they would lose money. And LOTS of it.

355164[/snapback]

Sick fish in a mmm HAVE to be quarentined. If the tank isnt under observation, complian. Its company policy. if they dont do anything, call the customer concern hotline. DO IT!

There is ANY money in live animals. I repeat. NO MONEY IN LIVE ANIMALS. No matter what, you it costs more to have animals then anything else. They make their money on merchandise. look at any petstore model.

magick, I'd drive all the way to california just to go to your store if I could. I'd love all that treatment! And yay for young looking people! We're paying for it now while we're young, but we'll be getting carded when we are 40 :)

Sick fish in a mmm HAVE to be quarentined. If the tank isnt under observation, complian. Its company policy. if they dont do anything, call the customer concern hotline. DO IT!

There is ANY money in live animals. I repeat. NO MONEY IN LIVE ANIMALS. No matter what, you it costs more to have animals then anything else. They make their money on merchandise. look at any petstore model.

A fish does not have to be sick/look sick to harbor parasites. They can and do carry parasites with them for a long time without ever flashing or anything. So, there is no possible way for ANY petstore to know the status of each and every one of their tanks and fish is. So, NOBODY should ever be mistaken that ANY fish store has parasite free tanks. The volume and rollover is just waaaaaaay too high to EVER consider that.

Besides that, quarentine consists of keeping a fish in a tank that is known to be parasite free to begin with. Having all of the tanks connected via central filtration system (or even having tanks stacked on top of each other) will garauntee that if one tank harbors parasites, then most or all do. Most pet stores have central filtration systems. There is no possible way to monitor them all individually. Most parasites are microscopic anyway, so even monitoring doesn't garauntee anything.

This is precisely why quarentine and treatment is entirely up to the consumer.

Don't get me wrong, I am actually very pleased with the condition of my local corporate pet stores tanks. They are somewhat knowledgable folks too boot. But I still have yet to walk into ANY pet shop and not find a single parsite problem in the tanks that house ALL of the fish for sale.

I hope I helped clear up where I was coming from.... ;)

Paul

Archived