Ruby's Being A Butt Head!

Kissy

Okay so I've got two black neons in a ten gallon by themselves. Ruby (pretty sure she's a girl) and Rummert (pretty sure he's a male). Ruby has always been the more outgoing one, but lately she's been pretty bossy. All day she chases poor Rummert to the back of the tank. I think she likes the front because that's where they are fed. Rummert doesnt seem stressed and there isn't any nipping that I see. Rummert just speeds into the back of the tank (usually behind a fake sword), stays there for few seconds, then leaps back out to be near Ruby. Its a funny little cycle. Sometimes he stays there longer tho. None of this happens at meal times and he is definately getting enough to eat and doesn't seem stressed...he's always full color. I think all this can be fixed by getting some more tetras. I was planning on it anyways, but I want to make sure they won't all just gang up on poor Rummert. I plan on having a total of three black neons and three neons. Will this fix the Ruby's bossy-ness?

Tetra's are schooling fish,and do better if kept in groups of 5 or more.Personally,I think I'd try to do it that way instead of adding a second small group of three other fish. :) JMO though.....

as we were chatting about, i have 3 black neons & 3 neons, they shoal happily, but they have been together a while now. you could give it a go, 3 of each if it don't work, get nother 3 of each? sound okay?

• 3 weeks later...

Personaly haveing 12 neons wouldn't hurt.With Normal water changes

25% a week, and good filtration its going to be okay :) .They need

to be in a bigger school... they get really stressed if not.

I'm gonna see if they have some healthy ones at that far away store..I think its called to ocean floor. I don't know how I'll tell them apart! I can tell ruby and rummert apart now, but that's only two.

Archived