Advice On Air Bubbles

Guest wclyle

Guest wclyle

Thanks to all of you out there that help with these questions! My daughter just got a goldfish..I'm not sure of the kind. She got it 2 days ago. Today, there are air bubbles surrounding the top of the bowl. The goldfish stays at the bottom and we never see it swimming around. It'll move from one side to the other side but we never see it move. It is a 2 gallon bowl and all that is in there is the decorative rocks and the fake plants. We are very new to any type of fish and just are trying to figure out what all needs to be done. It is fed slow sinking crumbles. I've seen all the advice on the other types of food and I know I may need to consider changing to another type. But any information is greatly appreciated....Dena

I don't think that the air bubbles are anything to worry about, but your goldfish is probably sitting at the bottom because the bowl is too small. I know it sounds crazy cuz the goldfish is so small right now, but fancy goldfish need ten gallons each and single tailed goldfish need 15 gallons each. They also need a filter. Goldfish are unbelievably messy fish, and they produce tons of waste. The ammonia will poison them and your fish could die. Trust me, if you get a nice tank for your goldfish then they will be happy, healthey and grow nice and big. Are you using a water conditioner or dechlorinator? This could be another reason why your fish is sitting at the bottom. Chlorine and other ickies in tap water can hurt fish too.

I would do a 100% water change every day to keep the ammonia down and air level up. If you don't have a dechlorinator to add to the water, you can let tap water sit for 24 hours and the bad chemicals will evaporate before you add it to the bowl. Good luck :)

Gah, I'm glad you and your daughter are going into fish but please don't keep it in the bowl. I'll expand on what Kissy said, 10 gallons of water allow the fish to thrive because A) there is more water to move around in. B ) toxic amonia (fish poop) and nitrites can seriously hurt your fish. C) your fish will become 100% more active. But a 10 gallon tank is not at all the only thing it needs, might I suggest a Penguin Bio-Wheel filter (they run for $20-30) which will cycle your water, this means nitrAtes will grow and breakdown toxic amonia into nitrites then it can proccess those into cleaner water. An air pump ($10-15) is vital to most goldfish because they need oxygen in thier water, the breaking of the surface allows oxygen to come into the water. As for food you can feed them basicly any flakes but Hikari is a great brand. Amquel + dechlorinator (4 oz. $3.99) removes chlorine and chloramines that are VERY harmful to fish.

Your goldfish is probaly lacking oxygen and amonia is building up causing it to act listless. I suggest humbly that you go buy a tank, set up the filter add dechlorinated water and let that run with out a fish for 2 weeks. While that is being done change the bowls water out 100% everyday and add, 1/2 teaspoon of aquarium salt ($2.00 comes in a milk carton like box) to aid in gill function and disease prevention.

EDIT: Spelling

Guest yabbie

Well you do sound a bit scary.

How big is the fish, wclyle? Is it a long thin goldfish or a fat round one?

The bowl should only be filled to its widest point, to get maximum surface area to allow for oxygen exchange. If it is a small fish it could stay in the bowl for a few months, but perhaps a small filter like penn plax make (they make some for bowls that come with a tiny air pump) might help it out... they're usually very cheap. And you can use the air line tubing to syphon most of the water and the gunk trapped in the gravel out and replace with water that has been standing for 24hrs and is the same temp as the bowl, every second day or so. That would be easier than taking the fish out and heaving heavy bowls around. Never use anything other than water to clean the bowl and only use unused buckets to replace the water.

Keep in mind that if it is a long skinny fish it is going to grow very large, very fast and need a lot of swimming room... eventually 15-20 gallons. A fat fancy fish need less room and grow slower but they do better with more room... eventually 10 gallons. As the fish grows it will need bigger and bigger housing. Start visiting garage sales and checking ebay, maybe you'll pick up a small tank at a bargain price.

It may just be lethargic because it's not very comfortable in its new surroundings, as well as the low oxygen from the bowl environment.

Guest wclyle

Thanks for all your info..lol..I didn't get TOO overloaded. ;) As for the water type we were told at the petstore to put the fish in springwater. We bought the springwater in the water section of the grocery store. We haven't added anything to the water for conditioning. We didn't know we were supposed to. I do have something called Aqua plus but it says tap water conditioner and we're not using tap water. The fish is small and long, not a fat one. The bowl is wide but not tall.

It's probally a comet or common.They need at least 15 gallons of water as kissy said.And spring water isn't neccasarry(im bad at spelling) All you need is a bigger tank and your goldie will be fine.also it is probally stunted(stopped growth) already.But still give it lots of room to thrive.Filters,Air pump will be needed and you'll have a healthy happy fish in no time. :D

I'm pretty sure if you use spring water you don't need a conditioner :) Although spring water can get kind of costly so in the long run using a conditioner would be your best bet, especially for a tank. Yep, what you have is perfect :)

Guest yabbie

Gee, that's unlike a petstore to say springwater when they could've sold you water conditioner instead. ;)

How small is small? 2 inches?

It sounds like the bowl has a good surface area.

Guest wclyle

The fish is no longer than 3"..so, I could use tap water and add this conditioner but let it sit out for 24hrs before changing the water already in the bowl? I'm sorry but this may sound dumb, but like I said, we know nothing about fish, but where do you put the fish when you clean its bowl? We took a couple of cupfuls of water out because after reading some of the messages I realized it may be too full. We had the water to the lip of the bowl. Again, I thank all of you all.

When you clean it's bowl just scoop him up in a cup, try not to take him out of the water this will keep stress down and you won't have him flapping about getting water everywhere.

As he gets bigger though (I have a 6 inch common) and grows out of a scoopable cup you can put stress coat (like a dechlorinator called Novaqua/Stress Coat) on your hands like lotion and gently pick him up like you would (forgive the referece) be taking a fish off a hook. But don't worry about that, just scoop him for now.

Guest Chishower

If you use the conditioner, you dont have to let the water sit out. I would suggest that you do daily partial water changes. That way, you can leave the fish in the bowl, dip some water out, and add new water. Then once a week you can put the fish with some of his bowl water in another clean container and clean the gravel.

:D Welcome to the wonderful world of goldfish!! And don't worry about what cha don't know! We were all there! But you have come to a great place to learn, lots of knowledgable people. It won't be long till you'll wonder what you spent all your money on before you got into this hobby!! :rofl

Guest yabbie

I have a friend who gashed her arm on a broken fish bowl and almost died. They're really awkward things to carry around and rinse out and if the job is too awkward you won't do it as often.

That's why I suggested a bit of flexible tubing (or a length of airline tubing that the petshop will sell off a roll very cheaply) just to vacuum the bottom of the bowl (stretch garlic bag netting over the end and use a rubber band to hold it if the tube is wider than your gravel).

All you have to do then is put a bucket below the height of the bowl, put one end of the tube in the water, give a quick suck on the other end and drop it into the bucket and voila! instant vacuum which you can shove around the gravel and get the gunk out and two thirds of the water, never having to move your fish at all... except when he gets too close to the vacuum and you have to push him away.

If you stand a bucket of clean water on a stack of books or something beside the bowl so it's higher, you can use the tubing to refill the bowl.

I think this way is less stressful to the fish, because the water leaves and refills gradually so there's no sudden shock if the water is a different temperature. And it's less stressful to the owner who doesn't have to lug awkward bowls around and put off doing it because it is a pain in the whatsit and then feel guilty because they haven't done it. Altho you probably will have to take the fish out and lug it to the sink to clean the sides and gravel occasionally.

Archived