Tank Cleaning Help!

Guest SyruS

Guest SyruS

How do i go about actually cleaning the tank? I heard i'm suposed to clean it once every 2 days or so...but how do i replace the water while getting out all the dirty things?

hi & :welcome

i'll explain how i do my tank, once a week i syphon out about 25% on the water with a gravel vac (this sucks up the dirt from mixed in the gravel) if any ornaments need cleaning then i remove and wash in the dirty aquarium water. As for the filter, i wash the sponges in dirty tank water, if the sponges are heavily soiled and need replacing i do so - but never replace all the sponges at once, as they hold good bacteria.

Then simply top up with fresh (decholrinated) water.

thats what i do anyways :)

EDIT: examples of vac's : gravel vac

Guest SyruS

ok...thanks =) i'm gunna buy a gravel vac today...however...at the moment there's actually no gravel in the tank...i got the fish as a present and haven't been to the pet store for anything yet...so can i still use the gravel vac without there being gravel?

yeh course, i take it tank is bear bottom. just hover the vac over bottom of the tank.

in fact there is a topic somewhere about keeping bear bottoms clean *sniggers* i'll see if i can find it :)

EDIT: here it is: tank cleaning

Guest SyruS

Thanks again! I only have one goldfish and i'm going to a petstore in a few minutes...should i buy gravel for the tank...if so...how do i replace it while he's still in there? Or if i have to take him out(which i believe is correct) how do i go about doing that?

you have bear at the moment? and you want to add gravel?

well, wash the gravel before adding it, then if you are patient and add it slowly by the handful, you can leave him in. i probably would. Just be slow with it.

but, it's up to you if you want gravel, personally i prefer gravel, my goldies like to dig thru looking for food, & it is easier to plant live plants :)

you can take him out while you set up the tank put him in a bucket with the tank water, make sure when you put him back you add at least 50/50 tank water & fresh.

:)

woooot!

yes you can :) just keep any eye on him, don't let him get to close to the suction, i have heard scare stories of fish getting sucked up. if he comes close just move it away from him :)

Guest SyruS

hmmm...i just tryed it for the first time and nothing happened...i conncected the hose to the end of the tube and put the tube in....moved up and down at the bottom of the tank and around the tank many times and waited....nothing happened...???

what type you got? manual one yeh? not battery one?

Manual one all connected up, out the syphon bit in tank and you have to shake it up and down hard (as you would shake a ketchup bottle) until the water is fully pouring - not a trickel - out of hose (into bucket).

Guest SyruS

mkay...that did the trick thanks!...after i took some of the water out and filled it with dechlorinated water...it did look better...but not totally better...the tank he's in isn't as big as it's supposed to be...the fish got thrown at me at the last second and i don't have the kind of money to go out and get a new fish tank...so it's in probably a 2 gallon bowl..is there anyway i can clean it better?

Guest SyruS

i dont think there's algae but the bowl still has some poop in it from before...if i have to clean it every day..how do i do that?

well green algae is a good sign, ugly, but good. It shows a healthy aquarium.

Daily changes, as you did today syphon out between 15 - 25% water and add clean dechlorinated.

do you ahve a filter at all? if not, you can get bowl filters. ask at lfs.

do you ahve a test kit? it would be worth testing the water every few days, see whats changing.

:)

Archived