Ph How Do Goldies Behave In High Or Low Ph

Guest ubik08

Guest ubik08

Hi I discovered my water was too acidic and so have been adding bicarb of soda at water changes. The water is now between 7.4 and 8. Unfortunately I had an unexplained death (sluggish resting on bottom followed by rapid decline.) Now another is behaving the same and both it and 1 with swim bladder probs have white spot on them. All are feeding fine and I've had them in the same conditions for a year. I also posted about diet. i don't give them much flake food just peas or daphnia. Can any1 advise. I tested the water and everything is fine but mb too high Ph. cu Paul

ps i put the two ill one ina tank with white spot treatment and 1 has perked up quickly.

Guest Chishower

How fast did you increase the PH? If you take it up more than .2 a day, it can cause PH shock and death.

What was the Ph before?

well, as stated before, you can only raise your PH slowly. how many gallons is your tank, how many fish, and what was your previous PH?? we need to know this to help you. how much sodium bicarbonate(baking soda) did you add?? usually its about a half a teaspoon for a 20 gallon tank. more can cause the ph to skyrocket.

PH shooting up can hurt fish, as you well know now. :(

GOldies are extremely adaptable, and if htey have been living in this water, they are used to it and were most likely alright with it. usually any ph from 6 all the way to 8 as long as it is steady, a fish will be fine. out of that range should cause worry, and any rapid changes should also be avoided.

i know you stated you have SBD, but a steady diet of peas and daphnia is not a very good diet. this should be suopplemented with many many other things to keep you goldies as healthy as possible. you can check out the gold fish foods forum for this.

what you could do to fix the ph is water changes, if your tap water is what they were accostomed to, then do a 50% change to change the ph a bit. this is how i remedy ph that has gone to high since my tap water is naturally acidic.

if they have ick(white spot) then i would treat that for now and not mess with any other conditions of them untill that is gone susccessfully since it is very stressful on them.

keep us posted :)

Guest ubik08

Hi I have been adding over a teaspoon at 20% water changes. There has not been a great change in the two I isolated but the one with swim bladder has got worse as far as floating at the top of the water. I have a 21 UK gal tank with 3 small fish in. I think this is fine despite people stating 10 (Us?)gal per fish. I added internal bacteria treatment and tonic salt to my large aquarium and this may have caused the decline in two of the fish. My healthy 1 in the large tank is fine. How can i treat swim bladder? c u Paul

Guest Chishower

If I were you, I would stop messing with the PH. I think we can trace most of the problems to this. Goldfish are extreamly adaptable, and can handle a stable PH from 6-8 (mine are at 8.4 with no problems). A slightly lower pH is better than one that is constantly fluctuating.

For swim bladder, you can fast for three days and then feed peas for three days. After this, try to vary the diet your fish are getting (bloodworms, brine shrimp, fresh fruits and veggies are what mine get), with not too much of any one thing.

I would start by getting them into fresh water containing only dechlorinator, and take it from there. What is your original PH?

:yikes over a teaspoon?!!?!?! I dont add that much to my 40 gallon!! and with every water change! :yikes anyways, stop adding this immediately and do *large* (think 50 %) water changes daily till your PH is testing back to a respectable level. most likely, they were accostumed to your tap water. only add your dechlorinator with these changes :)

varying the diet will definately help SBD. do as stated and fast, peas, variety.

i dont know offhand what UK gallons are in relation to US gallons, but you are a bit overstocked.

I would not add anymore of the bacterial treatment. just regulate your PH and keep your water pristine. the salt (small amount) will help to releive some stress the fish are under. Im assuming hte tonic salt is aquarium salt?? either that or kosher salt, do not use any that have any other chemicals or agents in them.

SBD is a condition, and cant really be 'fixed' but it can be stabalized iwth diet and good water. :)

keep us posted

Guest ubik08

Hi thanks for helpful replies. The ph is down to 7.4 after watre change and I won't mess. I have good news and bad. The pearlscale I had with swim bladder died overnight but I returned my Ryukin to the main tank and he seems fully recovered. Back fin back up and feeding voraciously. I learn something new everytime I have a problem c u Paul

I'm so sorry about your pearscale :( Iglad your ryunkin is doing better tho. I used to have to add over a teaspoon of pH down to m 10 gallon to keep the pH normal (my tap is 8.3) but then it would just go up again by the end of the week cuz my kH is off the chart. People told me to just leave the pH alone so I did. I only mess with it for new fish so they don't get pH shock and I can build it up gradually for them. Symptoms of pH shock are listlessness and pinkish grey gills. I had one die because I forgot to adjust pH before putting him in the tank :(

Archived