Bacteria?

mailboxck

The was some sort of white stuff on the glass of my tank that kept on multiplying. They look like tiny white spots on my tank and eventually got to my fish. I used a parasite killer and gladly, they were gone.

They grew like crazy and scattered all over the tank. What are they?

I also have tiny worms in my tank. They're white and stick to the glass. They're around 3mm long. Really small. Can't seem to get rid of them. What are they?

Would you be able to post the params of the tank and such? This is important.

Sorry but I may not be able to help you with this, I have no idea. I am sure someone will reply soon.

Hi there. :D

Off the top, harmful bacteria does not grow on the glass of your tank. Actually, thats not true, beneficial bacteria (and cyanobacteria) DOES grow on the glass(and everything else as well), but they do not count as a "bacteria" per say.

What do you mean, "they got to your fish"?

What medication did you use?

Do you have test kits for ammonia, nitrItes, nitrAtes and pH?

The white worms that you are seeing in your tank are called planaria. THey are completely harmless but they signify a lack of cleanlines in the gravelbed (or too much gravel). This means that you should start vacuuming the gravel much more (and/or reducing the amount) and making sure that poo and uneaten food does not settle there for long. Otherwise, outbreaks of planaria, algae AND harmful bacterias can be a real pain in the neck.

I suspect that the white stuff you saw growing on the glass was actually some sort of algae (cyanobacteria) with some other growths related to beneficial bacterial colonies. Many medications (including marcyn 1) can kill off these growths. BUt, you do not have to resort to medications that can stress your fish just to kill the growths off. You can easily fix the growths by using an algae scrubber or get yourself a bushynose or rubberlip pleco. Easy as pie! ;)

If your fish had some sort of parasite on them that looked like white spots, this is called ich. If you were able to get rid of them successfully, then good on ya. :lol:

Now if you suspect that your fish might still have parasites, you can easily determine this by answering an assortment of questions. I would be happy to help you in that.

Post back soon,

Paul

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I don't have any test kits yet though. I don't know the exact name of the medication but it says "kills ich and parasites" on the label. It worked well for me though.

I don't have gravel though. But I think my tank isn't cycled well yet coz i transfered my tanks to the other side of my room which means emptying them completely. They are doing much better now though.

My fish also had ich at the same time so was not sure if it was the same thing on the glass. But they're all gone now except for the worms.

Funny thing is, when i keep the window open the whole day, the worms seem to lessen. But when left in the dark, they grow in number.

My tanks are getting much better now. The worms are almost gone. I think that it just needed to cycle.

My tanks are also around 30deg celsius...so I don't know if that's good for goldies. But i guess they're doing ok. Coz if it gets too cold, they'd just sleep all day :rofl

Archived