Betta

Marco

Hello~

i dont have any bettas. but i used to...

if im not correct but arnt bettas = siamese fighting fish????

how can they spawn if they keep on fighting all day long???

unless if its a male and female they get bored of fighting and live alone?? rofl

just wondering B)

marco

You are correct. Betta's are Siamese fighting fish. The mating process for them is rather violent I have heard, the male tends to beat up the female pretty good, he circles her etc...

The male betta makes a bubble nest for the fry to hatch. Someone breeding betta's would not keep the male and female together all the time. They would put them together only when they want them to mate. In the wild, I have no clue what goes on.

Guest Chishower

It IS violent. The male builds his bubble nest, and then beats the crap out of the female. Eventually, she gets fed up and swims up to check out the nest. If she likes it, the rather clumsy spawning process ensues...then you remove the female because she will eat the eggs. The daddy takes care of them until the eggs hatch and the fry are free swimming, then you take him out because he hasnt been fed this whole time....

Or, like my bettas, you just skip the spawning part and continue fighting. *patches darling up*

rofl, i never knew that the males would beat the living22 out of the female bettas even during the mating season :(

anyone have a picture of this Bubble Nest?? im curious on it ;)

and thanks for the reply girls :D

marco

Guest Chishower

http://www.studiocute.com/bettastuff/images/gooddad.jpg

thats a bubble nest.

The male will put all the eggs in it, and over the next few days he will put ones back in it that fall, clean them off with his mouth, and eat any unfertilized ones as well as adding more bubbles (they do pop!). When the fry hatch, he will pick up ones that fall and spit them back into the nest, but as soon as they can all swim he should be removed because he will eat em.

Bettas make good dads.

I have heard of girls beating the crud out of boys during the process too.....

BettaTalk.com has some good info...

Archived