Moor Still Sinking & Floating. Help?

Guest danxxx

Guest danxxx

Hello. I'm really confused...This is actually an addendum to my last post (see "Help? New Fish Sitting at Bottom" on messagebaord, for tank details & previous info). I thought I ought to start new here as I'm more confused now than before? She's (I do think she's maybe a she, but hard to tell, huh). She's a new fish in new tank with perfect water quality. Was really active 1st couple days, but now the past half week has been resting diagonal with nose downward at the bottom, or nose upward at the top most all the time (when she does swim she swims fine, tho a wee bit wobbly); poo has been stringy and mostly pale (tho some has been darker & healthy looking) and a few times had teenytiny spirally kind of crinkles in it (don't know quite how to describe this); and she's very 'rotund' (but don't know how to know if 'swollen'). Those all the symptoms I've noticed, but maybe I'm not looking for the right things. Like I said before, I'm really new to this! Well, I reckoned it's constipation/SBD, & been treating by fasting for the last couple days (going to feed peas starting tomorrow), & have salted 1 teaspoon per gallon. But LaurieP mentioned something about fish getting 'egg bound' or 'absorbing eggs' as a 2nd possibility. I don't know what this means, or how to diagnose and treat. I read that 'zig-zag' poo can mean this too. Not sure what zig-zag poo looks like but maybe sounds like what I described??? Many apologies for all this wordy posting, but I'm just really worried and confused! Thanks...

Certainly those crinkly, spirally poos sound like your fish is a she and has indeed reabsorbed her eggs. But if she is passing her reabsorbed eggs I don't think she would be eggbound, although it is possible and that is causing her behaviour.

So, imo, keep feeding peas to help move food along her digestive track which may be squashed in some places by the mass of eggs until they are all reabsorbed and passed.

Guest danxxx

Wow, thanks! I'll do that then. What about the teaspoon salt per gallon I've added? LaurieP (in a reply to kayti29) mentioned removing the salt and adding epsom salts instead. What does this do and how/how much do you add?

And how do you know if she's passing her reabsorbed eggs? I don't even know what these egg troubles actually mean. Cheers!

The salt you've added is fine. I keep my tanks salted at .1% all the time. Epsom salt is reported to assist with bloating, but only bloating caused by water retention, the usual dose is 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons. I don't believe that such small doses of epsom in the water will do anything to assist with constipation (if indeed that is your fishes problem). For epsom to assist with constipation it needs to be ingested. I have force fed an epsom solution via a syringe but others just pop a grain of epsom inside a pea.

As long as your fish is still pooping, I don't think constipation is a major issue, nothing that regular peas can't fix. btw, peas need to be cooked for a few minutes, then squished between your fingers to pop them out of their shell.

Basically, the only way to recognise if she is passing reabsorbed eggs is those odd looking poops you mentioned. My guess is just that she is having a bit of difficulty but hope that nature will sort itself out in it's own time.

Keep up with the pease for a week or so. If her condition worsens during this time, or you have more concerns, please post back.

Hi again. I just read one of your other posts and thought I would add that I don't think it is SBD. Usually with SBC fish will float right at the top of the water or hang with their nose down. This is because all the air in their gut makes the rear end point upward.

If you fish is hanging at the top with nose upwards it could just be a comforable resting position for her.

I daresay alot of the behaviours you are seeing could be related to the move to the new tank. Some fish are very sensitive to changes in their environment. Sandy made a good point about the filtration of your tank. An internal power filter or a hang-over-the-back filter would be more efficient. And yes, 50% daily water changes will do wonders.

Guest danxxx

Hi, thanks for writing back, Fishmerised. I guess from what you replied, that this most likely egg troubles. I'll follow the advice you all keep giving me, which is to keep the salt at 1 or 2 teaspoons a gallon for awhile, feed peas after the 3 day fast, change up to 50% water daily, and hope nature takes it's course. I think I might have used the wrongwords for my filter. I think it is an internal power filter. Not a Fluval, but an Eheim. It goes in the corner and pumps the water thru itself, with a sponge and room for charcoal etc inside. You can adjust the pump flow and add bubbles or not. It's definitely the kind where helpful bacteria grow. It's a size larger than what's recommended for my size of tank. Is is that the kind you folks meant? Gosh, I hope I'm doing this right. Miss Molly's such a darling and I just got her. I want to do right by her! Thanks again. I'll write back if anything new comes up...Cheers.

Archived