Nitrate level? under 5

Ph Level? around 7

Ph Level out of the Tap? same, always constant...city water

Tank size(How many Gals)? 20

and How long has it been running? about 2 and a half years

What kind of Filtration? Aquaclear 300

How often do you change the water and how much? every ~2 wks, ~30%

What kind of Water additives or conditioners? a dechlorinator

Any Medications add to the tank? no....0.1% salt was added about a wk ago, because my little fish got stuck under some rocks overnight and got banged up a bit.

How many fish in the tank and there size? 2...1 is about 5 inches (with tail), the other is barely over 1 inch.

Add any new fish to the tank? yes, the little one that is acting wierd was added about 3 wks ago.

What do you feed your fish? Hikari pellets, flakes, peas, lettuce

Any unusual findings on the fish? Such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins, fungus? no

Any unusual behavior? Like staying at the bottom, not eating, ect..? floating at the top, very innactive.

The last couple days my new little black moore has been hanging at the surface. He doesn't appear to be gasping for air. He's pretty innactive, and basically just hangs at the top. I used to see him sleeping up there before, but now he definitely spends pretty much all his time up there.

I did a 25% water change today, just to be sure. There is still some salt in there, because this was the first water change since the addition. I don't really know what else to do. Thanks for any help!

is he on his side or in a normal position? it does sound like swim bladder problems and if he cant swim down then his bladder is full of air. if he is eating the flake or taking food from the surface then this is probably the cause. dont let him feed for 4 days and see if that clears his system out then feed the squashed pea for a few days.

All your readings look normal, that's the thing. Nothing looks out of the ordinary here. I know exactly what you mean about him hanging around at the top as well. I used to have fish that always did this. Usually I would let it go, and it would resolve itself. How long has this been happening that he just sits there?

Guest danxxx

I've got this going on with my new black moor girl for the past half week (I've posted on this already on disease/dignosis forum. Due to her symptoms, I reckoned at 1st it was constipation/SBD and have started treating as such, but LaurieP mentioned egg troubles ('bound' or 'absorbing') as 2nd possibilities, and some of her symptoms match that as well. How do you tell the difference, and how do you treat egg troubles? Are there any treatments which work for both constipation/SBD AND egg troubles? I'm new to all this, so does anyone have any advice? Thank You!!

Thanks for the help guys. I suppose it could be SBD, though I really hope not...as I just had a fish die who had bad SBD for a long time. I'll try the fasting and the peas and see if that helps.

He's definitely not begging or looking for food...as he pretty much just hangs at the top, very innactive.

And I highly doubt it's eggs...as the fish is barely over an inch long (incl. tail).

Thanks again!

The fish has worsened. I just found him stuck in the filter intake tube. I quickly turned it off, and the fish seems okay...not too much fin damage. I then wrapped the tube in filter media. The fish just sort of hangs at the surface now, on its side now mostly. I'm watching it swim around the tank right now, and he seems to swim pretty normally when he does. But other than that, he appears almost dead.

Please help.

Thanks.

Hi bubblegoose - as he's a relatively new fish it could also be gill bacteria precipitated by parasites. I know he's little but can you see his gills at all? How do they look? Is he pooping at all?

The fish basically seems to be waiting to die. It's now just floating around on it's side with the current, pretty much unable to do anything else. It also lays on the ground.

I'm thinking bacterial also, as it seems now that maybe his fins are also looking damaged (though this could be from the filter intake, which he got stuck in yesterday). I also think his gills may be red.

I don't have much hope for this fish...which is unfortunate, because though small, he was quite a nice looking little guy...and seemed strong too.

My question now though is, is my tank infected? I just had a fish die last week from what I thought was a tumor (a large lump on her side), but who displayed much of the same symptoms...only her death was much more gradual. By the end she couldn't really swim at all (I thought th tumor might be constricting the swimbladder), and basically lay on the bottom all day. I would hate to lose my last fish to this too. What do you think?

Thanks for any advice guys.

Well, sadly the little guy didn't make it. Jeez, that's the 3rd fish I've lost in the last couple weeks. One was a betta I had in a 5 gallon, and then 2 goldfish from the 20 gallon. I had 4 and am down to one. How sad. I blame it on the heat actually, as it seems like at least 2 of the fish died from bacterial infections, which came on suddenly during heat waves, and killed them within a few days. Oddly enough they didn't share a tank.

Thanks for the help guys. Hopefully my last fish will make it through the rest of the summer.

:cry1 Oh - I'm so sorry! I had a bad feeling about your poor fish but I always believe there's hope.

I don't know about your situation but in mine noone else was affected who was in that tank. I would keep a close eye on any other fish who may have been exposed.

Perhaps you need more airstones in your tanks in the warmer weather? Maybe the lack of O2 puts them at a greater risk for other problems?

I hope the rest of your summer has better news!!!

-Jenn

Archived