Vacation Care

Guest sross19

Guest sross19

Can anyone give me the best advice out there for the care of goldfish while away on vacation for 2 weeks? I will be out of the country for 2 full weeks and have 2 small (2-3 inches) goldfish (the type that are usually feeders at pet stores) in a 20 gallon tank. They are the best. I have had them for almost 2 years now and have been through a lot with them and will be very worried about them while I am gone. I have heard about the "vacation feeders" and "automatic feeders" ...neither of which people seem to recommend overwhelmingly. I am also nervous about using real plants because of the risk of increasing waste. I may be able to have a friend come and check every few days.

Also, what about light? I know that leaving a light on or off for that long could kill them. Can I buy a regular old lamp timer and use it on the aquarium light? Eeek. I hope I figure something out! Thanks! :blink:

Guest yabbie

The safest thing to do is just to have someone call in once or twice to feed them and then only put out the exact portions you want fed in tiny bags and hide all the other food away. Or even safer might just be to plop a dissolving food block in there and walk away.

Unless you know someone who has a lot of experience with fish, they will overfeed the fish, that is almost guaranteed. Even if you hide the food they will feed them bread or something else. The water will be polluted very easily and if the fish look ill the carer will feed them more. It's far safer to have the fish be underfed, goldfish can go for ages without food and the water quality will last the two weeks.

If you leave the curtains open in the room and there are no live plants in the tank, that should be enough light for goldfish.

Personally, I'd just use a goldfish food block and ask someone to come in at the start of the second week and put another one in, make them promise not to feed them anything else, maybe get them to add a jug of prepared water, just to freshen it up a little.

what I did for my mom while i was away in new york was get 2 of those week long pill holders that are marked with days of the week. I put the exact portions in for each days breakfast and dinner and all she had to do was open the little lid and dump it in (she didnt do that, she likes to hand feed em, which is fine with me :) ) so maybe you could just get one and label it with the days you want them fed, and be sure to hide away all your other food!!!! tell them specifically to only feed them sparangly.....what you have in the boxes and nothing else.

as for the light, yea, regualr light timers are what i use and they work wonders, since i would never remember lights in the am and pm.

feed em very little, and your water should stay well enough! :)

have a good trip, btw! :)

Archived