Using Fish Flakes To Cycle?

Kissy

Okay there is NO plain old ammonia around here. I'm going to one more store tomorrow, but I don't think I'll find anything :(

Would using fish flakes work to cycle the tank? I'd put them in my filter next to the cartrige so they don't wonder off and I can remove them easier. Would the flakes start to rot and get all fungus-y? Are their any other options? I have a ten gallon tropical tank, but its cycling right now so it wouldn't be good to remove anything except dirty water.

Guest VxShady

You'll more then likely find only pure ammonia at like an ACE hardware or Home Depot or something. Give those a shot.

I think all organic stuff would decompose and give some form of ammonia. The problem with flakes is that the volume may be too small. I suggest a frozen shrimp.

Slugger :)

We do have a home depot!! I'm going to try and drap my mom off to there or lowes...but I don't think she will go.

Lol yah right my dad would NEVER let me use a shrimpy for cycling a tank lol! As you can tell my parents aren't really fish people..and my mom hates them.

Guest Chishower

I know what your talking about. I think you put the fish flakes or food or such in the foot part of a panty hose, tie it up, and hang it in the tank. That way, it can rot away without escaping into your tank. You can replace it when it gets really bad.

get a couple of ouches of flake food, put it in a breeding net or pantyhose and heep it in....

and just remember, overfeeding kills many fish since if its on the bottom, it overloads the filter and crashes the tank,,,

"and just remember, overfeeding kills many fish since if its on the bottom, it overloads the filter and crashes the tank,,, "

....I think you lost me there? I know over feeding fish is bad but...I can't find the connection? someone help a girl out? lol

"and just remember, overfeeding kills many fish since if its on the bottom, it overloads the filter and crashes the tank,,, "

....I think you lost me there? I know over feeding fish is bad but...I can't find the connection? someone help a girl out? lol

355029[/snapback]

In the Cycle, its based on a set amount of NH3(ammonia) going at the start of the cycle. when you overfeed, between the food rotting on the bottom and all the waste your fish make produce a lot more NH3 then you have the bacteria to process it, thus NH3 suddenly exists and poisons your fish, as it does not have enough bacteria to convert it to NH2- and then NH3-....

A example in my tank, my 29 gallon was cycled for my two moors, then I put a large redcap (debbie) that was more then twice the size of my two moors, and the next day, I notice signs of ammonna issues in the tank, and starting waterchanging, wondering what I did wrong, then I remembered, Debbie is a lot bigger then the other fish, and i more then doubled the output of NH3, so thus my tank had to cycle all over agian, though it does cycle quicker as you don't have to whait for the colonies to start, you just have to wait till they grow to meet the new demand.

Did I mention that I don't have any fish in the tank so it won't hurt anything? How is the effect you are talking about different than using flakes opposed to ammonia?

Did I mention that I don't have any fish in the tank so it won't hurt anything? How is the effect you are talking about different than using flakes opposed to ammonia?

355319[/snapback]

None - I was talking about when you have fiish and your overfeed :exactly

The bacteria that eat debris in the tank produce ammonia, so yea, adding fish food could work.

From what I've read, quite a bit of the ammonia produced in tanks comes from those bacteria.

I found the ammonia I used at Ace.

I don't think we have an Ace out here, and my parents keep putting off taking me to home depot to see if they've got it. Today I cut up a pair of my mom's pantyhose and put a pinch of tropical flakes in each, a rock in the bottom to hold them down. I stuck one behind of the cartridges in my filter and closed the lid with the tops of the pantyhose stickin' out. Am I supposed to add conditioner? On the fishless cycle page it says to add some before you add the ammonia, but on the bottle it says it destroys harmful ammonia. The conditioner I have is Tetra Aqua.

I think, though I'm not sure, that the conditioner will destroy some of the Ammonia at first, but it will also get rid of the Chlorine. Since you have nothing in your tank that's adding chlorine, this only needs to be done once, and eventually the Ammonia created by the food will be too much for the conditioner to handle. It probably will only delay the process by a tiny bit. I'd go ahead and do it now.

Archived