Eyeball Ripped Out

camcorder

im really freaking out, i was doing a water change and a leaf got stuck in the tube so i took of the large plastic thing on the end of the gravel cleaner and i looked away for a second and like that my moor got its eyeball stuck and riped out in the tube, it was so horrible so now hes just swiming around with a completely empty socket, i cant stop crying and i dont know what to do

Guest Chishower

Can you answer the questions in the white box at the top of the screen?

The poor fishy. :heart I don't know if you can really do anything for that, other than keep the water perfect until it heals, but I am not an expert.

Is he still swimming around alright?

nitrates 10

nitrites 0

ph 7.6

hes swimming around pretty normal, it just happened when i made the first post so he seems like he is also still alittle shocked, its just reall terrible beacuse i can see the actuall stem of where the eye connected, i just dont know what to do, i feel so bad

Poor darling! It doesn't look all that pretty , but with pristine water and a little help for him to find food he should be just fine. Unfortunately, a lot of things are dangerous to telescopes and other "eye handicapped" fish.

He probably doesn't wonna eat today, or move around much, maybe hide in his favorite spot, away from currents and his tank mates. That is perfectly normal, he has to adjust not only to the pain he has right now, but also to the fact that he only can see things now with just one eye. This will level out, and he adjusts fine over a couple of days.

I would recommend keeping the water as pristine as you can - no ammonia or nitrites (which you dont' have anyway), tank lights off to keep the stress down. And when you offer him some food, make sure the other fish don't disturb him. He will get used to either hand feeding or finding his food at always the same spot in the tank.

Other than that, a low dosage of salt will help the healing and reducing his stress. Its either salt, of if you have Melafix at home, that'll work fine too. Just not the two combined - either one or the other. When opting for salt, use aquarium, rock, kosher, or solar salt, not cooking salt. They have additives that are poisonous to fish. 1 tsp per 1 gl of water is the dosage to bring your salt solution to 0.1%.

Thats all you can do at the moment. I know its a shock for you and the fish, but after his first essential stress period he'll learn to adjust. I had quite a few fish over the years with missing eyes, and none died from it.

Keep us posted on the darling! :)

:( Oh man,that is too bad.I actuallt have three different Lionheads with one eye,so I know how you must be feeling right about now. I found that all three of mine have adapted fairly easy to the one eye thing.When their accidents first happened,I kept pristene water,and dosed Melafix into the tank.I know it looks awful right now,but your little Moor will adjust,and be fine.Hang in there. :)

thanks for the help, i just cant stop replaying it in my head, poor guy, it looks real gruesom, well actually its not to gorey thoughjust an empty meaty socket, i just feel so bad, i will defeinity be treating with melafix, thanks again

i am always amazed at how resilient goldfish are, this morning he was swimming around like normal spitting ricks and chasing my female pearlscale, i though for sure he would be hudled in a corner but instead hes acting livly and normal. its still a little shocking to see a giant scoop out of the side of his head but to keep his stress down (and mine) i covered the front of the tank, its still a little disturbing to look at.

I'm sure it's disturbing. I've not had that happen to me but I can imagine how awful for you. But, that's great news that he is feeling better. I'm sure you will both recover in due time.

That is good news to hear that he is doing better, Camcorder - as disturbing as it is to look at. Fish are such resiliant fish, they can cope with quite a few things, its amazing... :thud

Fish are so amazing. My ranchu Angus got his eye sucked out by my pleco about 2 weeks ago :angry: . The very day it happened he was pretty much acting normal, I only noticed it missing because he has black eyes and he's white, so it was very obvious. He's absolutely fine now, I didn't give him meds or anything when it happened and it looks like it has healed well. Good luck with your guy!

its been a few days and his eye is almost completely filled in, the socket was pretty deep so i am amazed that it has filled in so quickly and he doesnt even seem like he knows his eye is missing and i think my female pearlscale likes him better now that he looks like some kind of pirate as they both have seemed a little friendlier lately

Archived