Holding Down Airstones

Guest RookieToo

Guest RookieToo

Hi - I'm pretty new at this; I rescued a sick fantail goldfish from horrible conditions in late February and have been trying to nurse the little creature back to good health. This website has been an invaluable source of information!

It took my 10 gal tank (that's what I happened to have in the house) 3 months to cycle and all water paramters were good as of early June. However, we got a streak of very hot weather that came on quickly and my water temps apparently rose (I didn't have a thermometer at the time). My fish started to look very stressed and a local aquarium society member suggested I get an air pump and airstone -- since I didn't have any other aeration at the time (I thought that having a Whisper filter alone would be sufficient).

Anyhow, the addition of the airpump and airstone seemed to make a big difference in conditions to the fish, who's now much more active. However, I've noticed that the airstone keeps wanting to float "up" a bit on the end (I got a 4" blue "ceramic-looking" one). Is this normal and what do folks do to keep their airstones sitting on the floor of the tank?

Thanks for any help and advice!

Hi and welcome to kokos :) glad you became a member.

In my tanks to hold my airline/air stone in place are small clips you can by at your local aquatics shop.

They are small 1" suction cups with platic clips to hold the airline. i'll see if i can find them online to show you what i mean :)

Guest defrost3

a cheaper way (not that the clips are expensive), but if you cant get to the pet store anytime soon, you could just sit a big rock or something on the air line (so long as it's not so big as to cut off air supply), it doesnt look as good, but it's a good temporary fix.

but it might be too much pressure on the line and (big)rock and it may lose some air being passed through the line..

i'd go with the clips

Guest RookieToo

Thanks for all your help. I'll be looking for those clips and suction cups at the pet store. However, I had ordered a bubble disc from Drs Foster and Smith and that worked really nice, but started floating up.....so I just weighted it down with an unconnected airstone and that's working ok for now.

Archived