Newly Hatched Fry

Guest goldcrazy

Guest goldcrazy

I've read that unfertalized eggs should be removed, but I can't get them off without breaking the egg sack. My fertalized eggs just hatched thismorning and I need to know if the yolk sack is attached to them, or if it is attached to the plant the eggs were stuck to. I'd like to pull out the plant with the fungused eggs so they don't poison my new fry.

Does anyone know?

Goldcrazy

Hi Goldcrazy, and :welcome !

Congratulations on your fry! That is an exciting thing to experience in goldfish keeping.... :)

As to where the egg sac is attached to, its on the fry, not the plants or whatever your fry sticks to. The fry will feed from that egg sac for a couple of days, and during that period is very inactive, mostly sticking to things. Once the content of the egg sac is used up, the fish starts free swimming and is on the lookout for food. That is the time when you need to feed him, not before. He doesn't have the physical ability to get food as long as he still has the egg sac attached.

Not to worry that you damage the egg sac on unfertilized eggs - it doesn't have any use anyway, since there is no fry growing inside that could use it one day. The simplest way indeed is taking out the plant the unfertilized eggs are sticking to, and leave the other plants inside. If they are life plants, the free swimming fry finds all kinds of goodies on them to eat - things that we can't even see with our bare eyes.

I'll put your questions in the breeding section, there are loads of information on raising fry, fry food and whatnots for you to read.

Most definetely keep us posted on your fry, we are "adoptive parents" to all the fry that swim around on our board anyway... :lol:

Archived