Axolotyl And Black Moor

Guest slurpiette

Guest slurpiette

i recently put 2 of my black moors into a tank with a new axolotyl (mexican walking fish) and unfortunately one died. the other one was happy until then, but when there was only one fish, his fins became frayed and split, we suspected that the axolotyl had been attacking him. they are separated now, but part of his tail seem to be dead and is falling off. what should i do about it?? would a salt bath help??

Perfect water will help your fish regrow it's fins. I would do a 50% water change today. Then you could use salt. Use aquarium, coarse, pickling, kosher or sea salt. A salt without additives. I would use a 0.1% solution. To achieve this, use 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon. Dissolve in tank water before adding.

Please keep us posted on his progress.

Guest travelingfish

Axolotls will attack goldfish, and the goldfish will never be at ease in the same tank. Even when they are too large to fit in the axolotl's mouth, your fish would be stressed all their life. I had an axolotl and the fish store expert talked me out of putting them in the same tank for this reason.

Also, the goldfish would nibble on the axolotl's gills, and while they'll grow back, it'll lose the lovely symmetry.

Guest slurpiette

thanks i will keep his water in as good condition as i can, i did add some salt but i didnt know how much

Archived