Ranchu Is Lifeless

Guest LamLam

Guest LamLam

hey guys,

i have a baby ranchu who is not moving. it just sits in the corner and breathes. hasnt been moving for about 2 days. the other fish try to attack it but it still sits there. the water parameters seem fine.

ammonia 0ppm

nitrate 0ppm

nitrite 0ppm

ph level 7 ppm

ph level out of tap 8ppm (guessing)

tank size 10 gallons been running for 1 month

there are 4 fish total in the tank. i feed them tetraflakes. no unusual external damages. i have been treating the fish with melafix for the past week, but i finished and did a 25% water change. it is also not eating. and when it does swim it swims in a circle and back to its corner.

much help would be great, thanks

lamlam

Hi LamLam - have you another tub you can put him in? It sounds as though something's stressing him and being attacked by your other fish won't help.

Can you give us some more history ie. how long have you had them? Any new additions? How does his poop look? Can you check his gills? Are they a nice deep red? No tattering?

And yeah, pretty overstocked so at the moment, as a suggestion, you could try doing small waterchanges every second day....

Also, another suggestion you could try is salting to 0.3% - try removing as much of the melafix as you can and add 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon (salt mixes ok with melafix), then 12 hours later, another teaspoon per gallon and 12 hrs after that a final teaspoon per gallon... salt can be considered one of natures best cures... and if you see no improvement - and depeding on the history of your fish - i'd almost suspect a bacterial/parasitical infection.... but will wait until you post back before guessing :)

Is your baby ranchu brand new? When I get new fish, especially smaller ones, my large black moore will bully them..push them around the tank and chase them. He usually calms down after a day or two with no harm done. It could be that your tank is overstocked and the other fish are just showing the new guy who's boss. That doesn't explain why he doesn't eat though, unless he's extremely stressed :(

:) Hi Lamlam Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that the little Ranchu isn't feeling so well though. What kind of filtration do you have in the tank?And by the way,I'm seeing that all your water parameter's are reading zero....In a cycled tank,you should have some sort of reading for NitrAtes. How often are you changing out the water,and do you have an airstone in there?

Guest LamLam

alright i re measured my tank. its 40 ppm for the nitrate and the niitrite is 0. i do have an airstone running and am using a penguin 125. its really wierd cause my ranchu just stays in a corner for long periods of time. when he tries to swim he swims wierd like he does twists and loops upside down and then goes back to the corner. the other fish in the tank are fine. im wondering if he has pop-eye but i cant tell cause it seems like his eye is kinda bulgy, but then all the other fish's eyes kinda stick out a little too. im not sure on that part.

i havent had any new additons. he has been doing fine eversince i got him which is about 1 month ago. i was wondering if you guys always keep your quarantine tank running even if there is no fish in it? i turned my quarantine tank off cause its just a little three gallon eclipse tank. im planning on moving them very soon.

and by the way this is off topic but what is difference between ehiem wet/dry and the ehiem professional 2? i posted it in another topic, but i thought i might as well here so i can get a quicker response.

thanks, lam lam

Guest LamLam

help help,

i moved him to a quarantine tank and have been watching him for an hour or so. what he does is just lay on his side at the bottom of the tank. his body is curled and when he swims he only swims in one direction and makes like a swirl and then goes back to the bottom. i have some pictures, but i odnt know how to post them. dont i need like a picture hosting website or something? anyways i need help right away. he is in a quarantine tank and i did put some melafix in but i dont know what diesease he has.

thanks for your replies

Guest LamLam

my quarantine tank is about 3 gallons. he is a tiny little guy. i figured out how to put pictures. please help.

DSC00806.jpg

c7bd59b7.jpg

eee7e598.jpg

sorry about your ranchu but it seems he has an infection in his swim bladder which he probably had before you got him and is now progressing. I havent i'm afraid seen anything that will cure this and all i can add is maybe salting the tank to .2%. add aquarium salt at 1 level teaspoon per gallon and do it again 12 hours later. It may help him breathe a bit easier but i think its only a matter of time.

As for the filtration the wet dry offers the better filtration method. I have the pro 2 and its a great filter but what you are looking for if its going to be the only filter in the tank is one that does at least 10 times the tank capacity in an hour. What size tank are you going to be using it on? i know the pro does 750 litres per hour.

Guest LamLam

that is very dissapointing. i hope there is some miracle that can save him. its my little sisters favorite fish and it kills her to see it like this. any kind of food i can feed it or medication i should give it to at least try and help?

thanks alot everyone.

lamlam

Guest LamLam

ill definately try the peas. so could there be any other diseases? or is it pretty certain that its swim bladder?

thanks

My fish Harry has sever swim bladder disease. Sometimes he's floating on top, other times he's on the bottom like your fish. Lately I've noticed he has the spinal curve. I was really worried at first because I always figured that was a sign of 'the end' :( . However, he's still fine. But, he does eat quite well. If your ranchu isn't eating I would worry about other problems. Maybe you could try a broad spectrum anti biotic? Just a suggestion :)

Guest LamLam

well he still curled up on the side and when he swims he swims on his side and goes in circles and then drops to the bottom. he hasnt been eating and his poop is clear and strinigy. ive given him some melafix and made sure the water is as good as possible. anyways im waiting for my new tank to cycle in before i put my other fish in. is there anything i need to do before moving the new fish to the new tank? i dont want to introduce any disease into the water. how do i make sure the fish are healthy?

thanks for the advice everyone.

-Lam

Guest ralph_evs

Ermmm.....this WONT help...but, people...please answer this!! I'm having almost the same problems, he swims upside down and he's a little away from my other two fishies...why is this happening?? :( I really don't want my fishy to die!! I'm new to the fishies and I buyed them (the three, the same type...very nice type!!) like three months ago...why :( I'm really worried can you answer this the fastest as possible please?!? I would really appreciate help :) Thanks guys!!

LamLam i'm really sorry, but i think you should seriously consider euthenising this fish. The best method is to use clove oil or anything with euthenol in it. Theres a thread in treatment that tells you what to use.

Once you are sure the new tank is cycled then you can move the healthy fish over.

are you going to use the old tank for quarantine/hospital?

Ralph, it would be best if you started your own thread in the disease section and then if you answer all the questions in the box above which is also in that section, then we can help you more.

Guest LamLam

i plan to use the 10 gallon as a quarantine tank. i will try the euthonol method. i also have a question about setting up the new tank.... how do you guys usually start a new tank out? do you just rinse with water or do you clean with like soap or some chemicals? i just washed and rinsed a couple times. anyways should be up soon. oh yeah do i add bio spira in during the ammonia treatments or do i add it after? im just following koko's fishless cycling. thanks

lam

If i already have a tank going then i use some of the gravel to help with the cycling process and take some of the old medi and add it to the new filter. I then leave it to run for a week and then add a fish or two to keep the ammonia coming and its usually finished cycling in half the time.

Archived