New Goldfish

Guest SyruS

Guest SyruS

Hello, I'm Ryan and I got a goldfish yesterday as an anniversary present from my girlfriend...she gave it to me in a little bowl probably a little bigger than an eating bowl and i kept it in there for the night...today i put it in a baggy with the same water and put the baggy in a bigger bowl that had new water in it...the fish then looked as if it couldn't breath...so i poured the bag into the new bowl and it still couldn't...after putting a couple ice cubes in(at different times) it seems to be doing better...for about 30 minutes now it's been at the bottom of the tank...it appears as if it's making out with the bottom...i'm guessing i might have over-fed it to some extent...is there anything else i can do to make sure it'll be ok??

have you added a decholinator? (to take the clorine out of the water?) if not, its prolly chlorine poisening. Just so you know, your gunna get flooded with these comments-

"Goldfish need 10 gallons of water per fish"

and its true, just wanted to warn ya!

But truthfully, goldfish are actually one of the LAST fish you wanna add to a bowl. their one of the dirtiest, and need their water to be cooler then room temp. (arouns 70F) :) good luck with him

76? Wow, I heard 80 was pretty deadly. :blink:

Welcome to Koko's SyruS!

Cylcing the tank is all so important, give that poor thing regular water changes, and constantly check the ammonia levels! Keeping a fish in a bowl won't necessarily kill your fish, but if you fail to but a 10 gallon or better your fish will never grow and expand, it will age to look like a frail, brittle, twig. ;)

There are heaps of helpful hints on this site, just read through a few things and you'll find everything your looking for :) If your need clarification or more information feel free to post again!

and sollicitus_witness 80 is cold in my area :P summer is usually around 100 most days (summer lasts for nearly 6 months here). If its 80 we're generally putting jumpers on :P My fish seem more happy in warmer waters too.

Guest jimmy_396_jimmy

for me 80 is okay temp kinda warm. usaully the water in my tank is super warm when i touch it.....

Guest yabbie

My frys are in 48F My big fish are in 39F

And they're happy. :D

Syrus, you need to use water that has been sitting in an unused bucket for 24 hours to evaporate the chlorine and maybe pick up a water treatment from your local pet shop to add to the water before you add it to your goldfish's water.

Overfeeding probably caused the problem (the extra food and extra poop upped the ammonia) and adding more water was a good remedy in the meantime but you probably need to find a small tank for your new friend, something bigger than a bowl. Try something acrylic or a garage sale for a cheap option.

If he is a skinny long fish like a comet, common, or shibunkin, he should be able to tough out a bit of chlorine and ammonia... but if he is a fat round fish, he may have more trouble with water quality.

The things you find out AFTER you get a fish, eh?

It gets to be like 115 a lot of the time in summer here in AZ and inside its 85 F. As long as the temperature is constant and you have lots of aeration, it should be fine :) Yah 80 is cold for us here too!

It is 80 here now, but the humidity makes it seem like 99! Isn't it wierd how humans are the only ones who can feel the humidity? I learned that from my news station :D . I am from Iowa. Okay so if goldfish can stand the warmer waters, could you mix some tropics in the tank as well?

i wouldnt, as goldfish are

a. very messy

b. very nibbly (might accidently eat tropics)

c. clumsy, and so may be beaten up by more agressive tropics.

just my opinion...

Guest goldfishgirl

I have two small orandas in a 20 gal will they grow nicely and will they need more room when bigger?

I have two small orandas in a 20 gal will they grow nicely and will they need more room when bigger?

357979[/snapback]

As long as you do weekly 25% water changes with a gravel vacuum, they should grow very nicely :) They probably won't get MONSTER huge, but they could probably around 8 inches or bigger. Especially since you got them when they were little, it assures that they spent less time in cramped conditions :)

A gravel vacuum is recomended. And your in luck! They are usually only a few bucks...its the cheapest and most handy thing you can get for your aquarium :)

Archived