Hello Betta People!

Guest BubblyBetta

Guest BubblyBetta

Hi! I am new to this website, but would just like to say that I am the proud owner of a betta named Nemo!!! Just wondering...should I get any snails for my betta? :krazy:

Guest Chishower

I would be careful with snails, bettas like to Nibble on things like eye stalks and tenticles. Of course, if your betta is one of the calmer sorts, it should be fine.

What does nemo look like? And welcome!

:D Congrats on Nemo!!! About the snails,to tell you the truth,the majority of Betta's will go for a nip at a snail-in my own experiences with them.I do have one Male Betta that shares the tank with snails & tropical fish. Truthfully,when I first put him in-he was a "nipper" He eventually grew out of this habit(At least I haven't seen him doing it for a very long time) :rolleyes: As for my other Betta's,Nope,they can not be trusted. If you really want a snail,I guess you could give it a try,just be prepared to have other living quarter's for the snail if the betta doesn't work out. :)

All betta's are different, but I have always kept snails with my betta's. I have a 10 gallon tank for my betta's, and I once had a betta and 3 apple snails in there and they all did great together.

Hi and Welcome to Koko's! :D

I agree that some bettas can have snails and do fine. Mine hasn't bothered the snails....but it is good advice to have another place to put the snail just in case Nemo decides it can't stay! :)

hi and :welcome

congrats on Nemo :D

i dont have any betta's, (i used to) but im sure they will be fine with snails, and just have fun with them! :)

Hi, and :welcome

I have ramshorn snails in with my bettas, and the bettas don't seem to bother the ramshorns, although, I once had a male betta that was so terrified of a ramshorn snail, I had to take the snail out :rofl One thing, though, I don't find many baby snails in the betta tanks ... obviously the bettas find the eggs tasty :(

I tried to put my snail, Sherlock in with my betta after my goldfish decided they were tired of the knock Sherlock off the side of the tank game and deicided the eating Sherlock' tenticles game would be better but Cusack, my betta wanted to eat him as well (poor tasty Sherlock!) So, anyways, Sherlock is now alone in a 5 gallon so I would suggest carefully watching your snail and betta if you decide to get one.

Go for bigger snails, like apples. Hmm, I don't know for sure if they sell those (big that is) at mmm/smart. Akihiro has had a Ramshorn in forever and it's too big to be eaten now so he leaves it alone, but like it had ben said, it's all in the bettas personality.

I kept 2 Ramshorns w/ my betta and at first he was afraid of them then he started pecking at their shells, One day I went in, both snails were doing poorly and my betta had a cut on his face, I guess the snail pulled him into the shell. I took both snails out but they didn't make it. So I guess what I am saying is, if you do put snails in, is as soon as u notice any nipping pull them right out!

Archived