Oldest Captive Goldfish 43

Jascar

Ok, I'm just wondering what you guys think about the oldest captive goldie to live was 43 years, and his entire life was spent in a BOWL.

Doesn't that kind of throw the some of your theories about fish needing such large space to live out the window? I mean I know they need good care (and are dirty fish), but I don't think they need quite as much space as people seem to say on here. I just think water quality has more to do with it, and not so much the space.

Guest squeeker

I have an 11 year old goldfish. He lives in a bowl.

HOWEVER

He hasn't grown in 10 years. His color has faded from bright orange to dull peach. He hardly moves, doesn't respond to much, is thin and frail-looking, and his water always smells. The ONLY reason I haven't put him in something bigger is because I moved 8 hours away from home and he was given to my cousin. I'd put him in my tank in a heartbeat, but I think the space combined with the different water chemistry in the new city, PLUS the 8-hour car ride, would kill him.

I am now a firm believer in the 10-gallon rule. I would NEVER put a fish in a bowl again.

Edited to add - that 43-year old goldfish is thin, frail, and old-looking, just like my Chief. He looks sad.

humm, well, just because he live for "43 years" in a bowl, dosen't mean he had a good quality of life. He would not have been able to grow properly, even if the water quality was tip-top, changed often, think how you would feel haveing to spend your entire life in a bathroom? i know i wouldn't enjoy it :) jmo.

I don't believe in fish bowls either, but I do believe the 10-15 gallon rule per fish is a bit off...personally.

Guest squeeker

Ever seen a 12" + common?

He wouldn't be able to turn around in either 10 OR 15 gallon tanks. He'd need AT LEAST 40.

Sooo... I guess the 10-gallon rule is off... it should be 40 gallons per fish! :D

Goldfish typically do not surpass 12 inches, allthough it is not unheard of. My problem is I see people ranting about needing 100+ gallons for goldfish, when you are right, 40 - 75 gallons should be perfect for goldfish.

Guest FreeTheBubbles

No I agree, I think the 10 - 15 gallon job is a bit ridiculous. When commons get to that size they should be put in a pond.

I've seen goldfish 12 inches in 50 and 75 gallon aquariums thrive . Shoot my grandparents have had 3 12 inch commons in a 75 for over 10 years, and they are as happy as can be.

--So contrary to your beliefs they can and will thrive, and survive.

I do think goldfish can live without 10 gallons per fish, but I do think it can be pretty rough. I have an overstocked tank (4 fish in a 20 gallon) that was given to me by my sister and it is a TON of work to keep it clean.

I've seen goldfish 12 inches in 50 and 75 gallon aquariums thrive . Shoot my grandparents have had 3 12 inch commons in a 75 for over 10 years, and they are as happy as can be.

353464[/snapback]

:)

Hi,

Three large commons in 75 gallons is great. That is just about 20 gallons each!

Commons are very hardy and can survive with less than perfect conditions much easier than fancy goldfish.

I have three large fancy goldfish in a 50 gallon tank and they have grown so much it is amazing--that is a benefit of larger space for goldfish--they have room to grow. I cannot image any more fish in there with them.

Guest squeeker

Heh, Jascar, you just proved my point! 3 12-inch commons in a 75 gallon is over 20 gallons each... above and beyond the 10-gallon rule.

Ok, I'm just wondering what you guys think about the oldest captive goldie to live was 43 years, and his entire life was spent in a BOWL.

Doesn't that kind of throw the some of your theories about fish needing such large space to live out the window? I mean I know they need good care (and are dirty fish), but I don't think they need quite as much space as people seem to say on here.  I just think water quality has more to do with it, and not so much the space.

Yes, but have you seen it?

_414114_fish.jpg

A 43 year old goldfish only 11.5cm (4.5 inches) from nose to tail. A 4.3 month old fish is supposed to be bigger than that. I suppose an argument could be made that a very long stunted life is better than a very short healthy one.

well, is it QUANTITY of life or QUALITY of life... because this fish is small, deformed and looks unhappy to me... (just me!!)

and imagion how long he'd live in a pond... he'd prolly be like those 200 year old koi 0.0

The dear old thing looks like a fry, when the head is out of proportion to the body. Nevertheless, I'd be interested to know their care regime, the little fella must have had something going for him.

edit: 10g per fish is just a guideline. It's as much about maintaining water quality as it is about swimming space. I couldn't imagine my largest fancies living in only 10g, they would hardly have room to move and I don't think the biocycle would be sustainable with all the waste they make. Although for small young fish it's heaps of space.

Goldfish had been kept for years in shallow clay bowls by the chinise....

thng is, they changed the water on a daily basis....

goldfish like to grow, and more water per fish, the more easier it is to maintain your jewels....

Now, I go with 55 gallon with four fish and a 29 gallon with 3 fish...thing is, I know I am kinda lazy...so i don't push my luck and give them plenty of space and plenty of filters....then agian, as a kid I had a goldfish for a few years in a bowl...poor guy was in dity water all the time since I had no idea how to keep a fish......

Goldfish, exp. commons, are tough little guys....

Guest Chishower

That poor thing doesnt even look like a goldfish anymore.

I like the 10g per fish rule. It is really annoying when the fish are small (1.5-4 inches for me), because there is so much space, but when I see how big some of these babies get, I think wow! I need even MORE space.

Of course, if you overcrowd them you dont have to worry much about them getting big, but they prolly wouldnt live as long or be as healthy.

Guest Goldminer

Squeeker- rescue that goldfish in the bowl. A person can live in a closet all his life but it isn't much of a life. Your goldfish in a bowl should not live in stinky water anymore- transport him to your tank- I think the great benefit he would derive from a new life in a roomy wonderful tank would offset the risk of moving him. Just imagine if it were YOU in that bowl- what would you want?

lets pop a great dane puppy in a hamster cage and see what happens... Im sure you can get simalar results... *SARCASM*

Guest squeeker

Goldminer,

Please note that I am an advocate for roomy fish conditions! I posted Chief's story to show how WRONG it is to keep a goldfish in a bowl. I was only 12 when I got the Chief, I didn't know any better.

I think I have good reason to leave him be. In order to get him in a tank, he'd have to endure an 8-hour car ride and completely different water chemistry. He'd also go from one gallon to 77 (he's already hopelessly stunted), and that alone would be such a shock that he'd probably die. Not to mention that my 77 gallon would then be overstocked.

I'm not a mean, uncaring person, honest! My goldies (and all the pets in my care) are living in spacious, spotless conditions and are leading fat, happy, handfed lives. I've learned from my mistake. Chief is living with my cousin, and he's her only pet, ever. Believe me, she loves him and he's getting the best care she is able to give him.

Please, preach to people who don't know any better.

Well.. I believe you are doing the right thing, squeeker, by letting him be or else he would have to go through alot of stress and as u said, he would not make it. :crp Although...have you considered to just buy a 10 gal. for your cousin, it wouldn't cost much and he could make the change gradually. :)

I would do the same squeeker, let him be, 8 hours is one heck of a drive for a fish, I am reluctant to take mine home if it more than an hour. :lol:

:BTT Going back to topic thou, as stated earlier 10 gal is a guideline, if you really cannot give your fish that much room, then very frequent water changes are in order, Bur realistically the more room we give, the more room they grow - The bigger the better.

:rules: Remember thou guys, careful how we all respond as the rules state ?6. Please, no discussions of Politics, Religion, Hunting and Animal Cruelty on the site. There are debate forums out there, just not on this family forum. People doing this will be warned and topic will be deleted.? and this could begin to borderline Animal Cruelty.

Just my :twocents Apologies if anyone thinks i am out of line. :)

Jascar,

You cannot REALLY believe that a goldfish will thrive packed into a ten gallon tank with 1 or two other goldfish, can you? I mean, the nitrATe alone would drive you crazy fro all the waterchanges..... :blink:

Believe what you will, that is your right. But, Do not give other people the advice that you are trying so hard to believe yourself. In other words, don't go telling people that you can fit 2-3 goldfish in a ten gallon tank and think that it will work for them. They can and will have problems within the first 6 months.

Comets can and will grow to 12 inches long VERY easily. fancy goldfish, given the oppurtunity, will grow to ten inches very easily. I have a 11 inch comet and a 10 inch black moor. Can you explain to me why it is that they are this big? Because I provide them with the ample room that they need to thrive.

There are probably 100 different reasons for not keeping a goldfish in a bowl. There are even more reasons to keep ten gallons of water per fish. I cannot go through all of them right now as I do not have a spare 3-4 days worth of time to indulge you. But, I can tell you that the 10 gallon per fish ruile of thumb was created by people who have been keeping goldfish longer than you have been alive. Expeience speaks volumes. Do not believe everything you hear from a single source of info.

I can tell you are new to fishkeeping because you are denouncing the very first rule of thumb in keeping goldfish happy and healthy. Will you denounce other rule of thumbs as well???? If you do, you will eventually understand, by heartache, why there are rules of thumb in the first place.

Please, you do not have to agree with us, but do not sit here and argue with our rules of thumb just for the sake of arguement.

Paul

I don't think people really realize the size that their fish can become when they purchase a small goldfish from a pet store,until you see it with your own eyes. Last year in June, I received twentyfive goldfish from a man on the internet.He thought he was doing me a favor by sending me extra's. These fish were in sad ,sorry shape. I managed to keep 11 of them alive.They are all reasonably healthy,but they have only grown a small amount. Last year,I also received three 12 week old Oranda's from another member. I unfortunately didn't have a camera at that time,but they were very small baby goldfish. They were placed in a 30 gal. long tank,with a couple of tiny Bristlenoses. Exactly one year later,my biggest baby is 8 inches big. She was the first fancy goldfish that I've owned that got that big,and I didn't realize how big that really was until I saw it with my own eyes. The other two are around 5 and 6 inches.I think they're both males.Looking into that tank,I see that 8 inch fish,and you know what,if they were all 8 inches,the tank would certainly look over crowded. Those first 11 fish will never see that size because they were kept in overcrowded,,non perfect conditions. They are all stunted fish,but that doesn't mean that they don't deserve or need to be kept in a better enviroment to live out their life to the fullest. Sure,when your goldies are new and small,that ten gal tank looks fine.But each day that they're kept over crowded in that condition will cause them harm in the long run. I couldn't even imagine leaving a goldfish live out it's life in a bowl. That would definately be like living in a cramped/closed closet. I don't care how long the fish has managed to live-it deserves to be able to swim,and turn around, that is not quality life. :(

Archived