Sick Fishes

Guest pconn

Guest pconn

I originally posted this in another discussion but not much respoonse.

I think something happened but not sure what.

My 30 tank has been running fow about 3 months with all 5 goldfish and the Pleco. I know it is still over crowded but it has to be better than the 20 gal I moved them from.

I know I messed up by adding a very tiny black moor about three weeks ago.

I tested the water last night, wrote them down and do not remember the readings but they did not seem that far off. the readings are close but may not be exact.

Ammonia - 1.0

PH - 7.0

Nitrite - 1.5

Nitrate - 20

Temp - 79

I did another partial water change 10% and added a teaspoon of aquarium salt.

The bigger fish seem to have red spots around the fins. They all appear lazy and stay at the bottom of the tank. Algea is growing on the bog wood and some on the glass but the pleco appears to keep fairly clean.

I moved one fish back to the 20 gal tank last night because she was stayin verticle and breathing very slowly. This morning she was laying on her side at the bottom of the tank. I did reach in and pick her up and she did swin a little but gasping very lazy and her eyes are not open very much as they were.

This morning I added a bubble pump to help aerate the tank.

Any suggetstion's or is it too late?

Guest pconn

Too late.

One fish already dead when I got home, another two will be lucky to past the night. Another water change, added 7 teaspoons of disolved aquarium salt and hope fot the best!

Guest pconn

Too late.

One fish already dead when I got home, another two will be lucky to past the night. Another water change, added 10 teaspoons of disolved aquarium salt and hope fot the best!

Hi there pconn and i'm so sorry :(

Red spots are one of the earliest sign of bacterial infection. In addition, some red spots are very commonly caused by infectious parasites which attack the skin, opening it to infection. Flukes are just one excellent example - so perhaps this could be the problem. Are you able to get any Prazi? I hope it's not too late and my fingers are crossed :(

Guest pconn

Thanks for the reply. I will go to the pet store and look for Prazi.

Well I did change the water again. Levels came down.

Ammonia - .5

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 20

PH - 7.5

Temp - 79

I wil test again this evening and probably change the water again.

Lost two more fish though and one other is not looking to healthy.

I guess the thing that upsets me the most is I have had all 5 fish in the 20 gallon tank for more than 5 years. I thought I was helping them by moving to a bigger 30 gallon tank. I guess I should have gotten a better filter like I was planning, just did not have the funds.

Live and learn???

I'm really sorry you've lost 3 of your guys - it's just so heartbreaking :( And honestly, I've been there which I know doesn't make it any easier for you and for what it's worth, I think finding a bigger home for your fish was a great thing to do :)

My first tank was way too small for my fish so after a long time, I got a bigger one... everything was going great so thought i'd get another 2 fish.... Well, I didn't quarantine first as they looked so healthy, so robust ... then I put them in with my other fish which is when it all came undone :(

Have you tried adding salt to your tank? You could try adding 1 teaspoon per gallon (diluted in tank water) and see if that perks him up. Are there any other symptoms? Flashing? How is he pooping? Is he eating at all?

So if you can, try salt for now ....

Please post back soon.

Guest pconn

I did add 3 tsp of salt early yesterday, then changed the water about 2 hours later with another 7 tsp.

I have not fed as much in the last two days but they do eat a little.

As far as flashing, they don't seem to have enough energy to flash. Although one fish does appear to brush up against the others quite a bit.

I think after reading some other posts, my problem is the flukes or parasites too.

Knowing better, I did get a little tiny black moor and put him in the tank about 2 weeks ago. Maybe that is the problem. He seems OK.

I did move the last Bigger fish back to the 20 gallon tank last night since I have not done anything to it but let it cycle the last several weeks.

Archived