Upgraded Filters... Stressed Koi

Kingyo

Hi everybody,

I finally convinced my father to add filtration to his koi pond. He purchased a Biotec 5.1 biofilter, a UV sterilizer, and an OASE pump. This combo worked wonders. The water went from brownish green to crystal clear in less than a week! The problem is this: The water is so clear that the fish feel unprotected. Yesterday one jumped out of the pond. There is a large rock, an aquamat, and floating plants but the fish swim like crazy when somebody approaches the pond. The ammonia level is zero and pH is between 7.8 and 8.2

Is this normal?

I think it would be normal if u had just added them to your new envirnmont, but u say they had already been in there... so... have you added any chemicals to the pond or pesticides around the pond, for your plants? I can't help you much but think about those Q's.

:goodluck

Fish swimming irratically doesn't make sense to me either. Sounds like they are flashing? If this is the case then the fisha are telling you there is something wrong with either the water or them. You are obviously keeping track of the parameters. You didn't say nitrites but you probably already know if that is high you are also going to notice red streaks in the fins.

I copied and pasted an article by Doc Johnson (koi vet) on flashing;

'Flashing/Scratching

Flashing

Flashing is when a fish scratches it's side or other surfaces on the bottom or sides of the pond - or on an ornament.

Fish'll flash and scratch when they have Flukes, Trichodina, almost any parasitism can cause fish to flash or scratch on things. One problem is that the parasites damage the skin, opening it to infection. The other problem is that the fish damage their own skin when they flash, so you need to get them to stop.

Another important consideration is that changes in water quality can cause flashing. A large freshwater change can cause flashing as the fishes' skin adapts to a slightly higher or lower pH. A dramatic reduction in dissolved organics (like when fish come from your pond to an almost sterile Show tank) causes a tingling in the skin.

Residual chlorine or other metals in 'new' water can cause flashing. Using a dechlorinator or even an aloe based polyionic "stress coat" alleviates alot of this. Fish brought to shows can flash like crazy. The new water in a show tank can really sensitize the fish, causing flashing. Still, you have to keep in mind that a parasite could potentially be causing the flashing and caution [and quarantine] would be a great idea.

Finally, black plastic water lines (Only meant for turf grass irrigation but which are priced too-right for Koi for bargain hunters to resist) which contain large amounts of UV stabilizers and elasticizers can set up an irritation sufficient to cause excessive flashing. Never use a novel or industry-unknown plastic with your fish. Always use things which you know won't hurt fish.

No matter what you ultimately do about this condition, please, FIRST, check your water for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. To learn more about these several important water quality parameters, please see this link. Establish that the Ph is higher than 7.0 using any of the many great test kits available. To raise pH you could use Baking Soda for the "quick fix" and then follow it up with a buffer. Make sure, too, that you have seen KoiCrisis.com - You can click on the fish there to get specific information about treatments and options.

Want a shotgun remedy for use on parasites and bacteria once you've ruled out crowding, poor water, high nitrogen or low pH?

Here's a perfect shotgun remedy that won't hurt fish:

(1) Salt to 0.3 or 0.6%

(2) Warm the fish no faster than one degree per hour, up to the mid seventies, or if you want to combat Koi Herpes Virus, use the same "one degree per hour" heating from their ambient temperature up to 86oF

(3) MediKoi food is, in my estimation, by far the best made, best formulated medicated food. It will help control bacterial infections.

(4) Dimilin handily controls comparatively rare but large parasites like Anchor Worms and Fish Lice.

(5) Prazi or Prazi containing medications controlf Flukes on Koi and Goldfish best.

Using all of the above at the same time can be highly successful against most parasitisms and infections. The space in which this is done should be the largest possible (100+ gallons), with plenty of hiding-cover, algae or live plants, and plenty of wter turnover for aeration. This protocol could be hampered when applied to salt-resistant Costia. A Formalin treatment on the way into the quarantine where the above will be applied will break the lifecycle of Costia and prevent it emerging in the quarantine tank.

Thank you for your consideration,

Dr. Erik Johnson

here is where I got this from

http://www.koivet.com/html/glossary/glossa...tegory=Symptoms

Flashing is not only scratching against the bottom and sides of the pond but also jumping. There is deffinately something going on in the pond, could be water quality or parasites.

Good luck and please let us know what happens! It'll surely help someone else down the road!

Now, I have to get out of here and clean my filter ............ UGH

Scott

Thanks for your help! The kois are getting used to the clear water now, they no longer freak out every time humans or dogs approach the pond. I am so glad the koi were not flashing or scratching.

Kingyo, if your the water was really murky before, the fish can get terribly skittish when they suddenly not only can see whatever is in the pond now, they also notice movement outside. People walking by, even tree branches swinging in the wind can irritate them now, since they haven't seen that before in the murky water. Not to mention that the additional light probably irritates them as well. The sunlight didn't penetrate the whole pond before since the water wasn't clear.

Mine were really nervous when I installed an UV on the pond, and the green water turned clear within a few days. Not really flashing, but swimming erratically and trying to hide in corners and behind plants, and always following just one fish around, like he was the leader.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear that the fish are doing great! I'm glad that I was wrong, I tend to over react but that is because I had a hard year last year and I'm not trusting any little reaction I see from fish LOL.

Scott

Thats easy to do Scott, I know I've done the sit on the edge of the pond this year myself. But I've had reason, the weathers' been too up & down, too many sick koi in the SF depts because of the weird weather. Keeps me on toes watching mine like a hawk. Wet labs been taken, Microscope in hand, med cabinet stocked and I'm armed and dangerouse! :rofl

Archived