Case Of The Missing Neons

Kingyo

Hi everybody,

My planted tropical aquarium has been running great for over two years now. It is a 15G tank with an AC150 filter, a 40W power compact strip light, fluorite substrate, heater, and home-made CO2 reactor. It is planted with vallisnerias, anubias nana, and Java fern. The residents are 3 clown loaches, a lonely platy, 10 amano shrimp, and ramshorn snails. I have been trying to add neon tetras with little success. Last time I added 10 and they disappear one by one without a trace! Any clues on what may be happening? No signs of disease or anything!

BTW: pH 7.0, NH3/NH4 0 ppm, NO3 below detection

well i don't thinnk anything is eating them, i have lost lots of tetra and never found them, when they die - thru natural causes i aasume - as they are so small the bodies/bones bio-degrae (for want of a better word) really quickly.

tis' the only explanation i can think of. PH could be a bit high for them, but i think emmajh keeps them at that sort of level. so i doubt it would be that.

could you ask the lfs what their ph is , the deaths could be ph shock maybe?

i am thinking out-loud here :)

If they die the snails will eat them very quickly, too, so you wouldn't find bodies

:(

You could try cardinal tetras instead of neons. I have found them to be more hardy for me, even with my high ph of 7.8 - 8.

The glo-lite ones are genetically engineered to glow under blacklights...  which is kind of cool and kind of freaky at the same time.

353515[/snapback]

No, glowlights have orange stripes, the ones your thinking of are GloFish. Not Glowlights. :)

And i would bet the Loaches are eating them... they can be fiesty, and that tanks to small for them. they get about 12" or longer

Oooops. That's what I get for doing a post-and-dash and just saying the first thing off the top of my head.

Well, anyways, I stand 100% behind my statement that it's kinda weird. :D

For some reason I think I remember hearing about neons being dyed. I'm not sure why tho! They are so colorful and gorgous as they are.

353513[/snapback]

no, their not dyed.. its Candy tetra's who get died... (though we have a small school of uncolored ones at work who ar GORGIOSE! very translusent white...)

Archived