Need Advice

smack536

ok, our electric is messing around, shorting out and comming back and stuff, so we have(or are supposed to) unplug everything, so i had to unplug all the fish,how long can they go without filters/air pumps etc, what should i do till our electric gets fixed??

ill keep checking back here as long as my battery holds out...

thanks in advance :unsure:

Guest Esareh

well, I kept my filter off for like, 8 days while treating for fungus (in the instructions) so they should be fine for a while.

I think the most important thing would be to keep the bacteria in your filter alive... if you have a biowheel or something of the like, I'd float it in the tank and perform water changes more often till the filter is running normally again. I would think that floating the biomedia in the tank would help maintain the cycle as closely as possible? If you don't have a way to float the biomedia... I'd just keep that part of the filter wet & sprinkle fish food around the bio filtration part to feed the bacteria... As for the air... not sure, maybe a battery-operated pump, depending on how many batteries you'd go through...

Yergh, what a pain tho! sorry your electricity's out :(

I am not sure what the weather is like there, so keep an eye on the temp too. Make sure it doesn't get to hot, frozen water bottles work nice to float in the tank to keep it cool if the temp gets too high.

Oh Boy! We lost power for one full week last summer! I didn't think about floating the biowheel :oops: -Good point, EatBubs! - everything turned out OK but come to think of it...I did not get GN until a month or so later - I just had a Betta, frogs, snail, and some danios... where the temp. was not sucha big issue.I did small water changes every other day.

Come to think of it - What would I do if we lost power again! :blink:

Let me know how that battery powered pumps works out for you! :goodluck I am sure it will be ok as you are so conscientious about it!

Guest squeeker

Lots and lots of water changes!!! I'd probably do mine a couple times a day, just to be safe... floating the media is a great idea, and so is the battery-powered air pump, though they take AAA batteries (I think) and only last a couple hours.

Guest graceful fins

Hello!

We lost power for a week when hurricane Fredrick ripped through. I was just a toddler but I remember it. My parents had 4 tanks. One with Discus, one with Angel fish, and two with Goldfish. Our water was out for the most of that week too. She would drive until she found a store with bagged ice and add it to there water. She would also airate the water by swishing the surface of the water. However the Angels and the Discuss tanks did not survive. The Goldfish were unharmed. I remember her sitting in the floor in front of the tanks crying as they died. It broke her heart! She quit the fish hobby right after that incident. :( Sorry I have rambled so much!!!!!!! Just keep the bacteria alive and oxygen too! Whether you use ice or a battery powered pump. Good Luck!!

Heather

Guest squeeker

A bicycle pump (or other kinds) could be used... every fifteen minutes or so, pump some air into the tank. Just be sure no grease or whatnot gets into the water.

Guest 2 commons

Along with floating the Bio media pour some water through the filter box to keep the water from stagnating in the filter.

well, it played aroundmost of yesterday, and finally came back for good around 7 or so. apparently it was our air condidtioning. anyhow, we used my dads uber-big air compressor to shoot some bubbles into the tanks every once in awhile,a nd i left the filter innards floating in the tanks. all is good now, ammo is up a bit, but im gonna do a water change once i get home, no time right now.

Archived