Sick Fish

Guest pconn

Guest pconn

I think something happened but not sure what.

My 30 tank has been running fow about 3 months with all 5 goldfish and the Pleco. I know it is still over crowded but it has to be better than the 20 gal I moved them from.

I know I messed up by adding a very tiny black moor about three weeks ago.

I tested the water last night, wrote them down and do not remember the readings but they did not seem that far off. the readings are close but may not be exact.

Ammonia - 1.0

PH - 7.0

Nitrite - 1.5

Nitrate - 20

Temp - 79

I did another partial water change 10% and added a teaspoon of aquarium salt.

The bigger fish seem to have red spots around the fins. They all appear lazy and stay at the bottom of the tank. Algea is growing on the bog wood and some on the glass but the pleco appears to keep fairly clean.

I moved one fish back to the 20 gal tank last night because she was stayin verticle and breathing very slowly. This morning she was laying on her side at the bottom of the tank. I did reach in and pick her up and she did swin a little but gasping very lazy and her eyes are not open very much as they were.

This morning I added a bubble pump to help aerate the tank.

Any suggetstion's or is it too late?

Guest Chishower

I would do another water change, and then salt the tank to .1, that is, add one teaspoon of salt per gallon. Be sure to disolve it before hand.

What filters do you have on the tank, and how often do you change the water? You are very overstocked, so you might want to look into another filter to help keep ammonia and nitrites down.

Hope that helps a bit before the experts get here, welcome to Koko's, and good luck with your fishies!

Hi and welcome, I don't think I have seen you around.

Well to be honest with you the water quality is horrible. That is your major problem. Having any ammonia or nitrites in a tank is deadly to a fish. While cycling it is important to let them be but never let them get over 0.25. This is important.

I would do water changes and more of them to gain control back. With your nitrates at 20 you should be cycled. It is just taking a while to get the other 2 down. When feeding the fish right now do very little. Even putting them on a couple day fast will help them and the tank. Less food less waste.

With that many fish in that space you may always battle the water quaility. Good luck.

Guest pconn

I am fairly new to the board. Only a few posts.

It seem's odd the water was fine, and the fish seemed content as they were in the 20 gal tank. I did my normal water change and that seems to be when everything happened. I have salted but ws not sure how much to use.

Ok, but your water is now really bad for them. That is what is hurting them. You need to do water changes to bring down the numbers.

Every time you change the water wait an hour then test, if they are still high do another change and so on until the water is safer for them.

If you don't do this you might lose them.

Salt is 1 teaspoon per gal of water. You can add the salt up to 3 times, each time you add the appropriate amount of salt is 0.1%. You can go up to 0.3% in 48 hours but no more. Make sense?

Guest pconn

Too late.

One fish already dead when I got home, another two will be lucky to past the night. Another water change, added 10 more teaspoons of disolved aquarium salt and hope fot the best!

Guest pconn

Too late.

One fish already dead when I got home, another two will be lucky to make it past the night. Another water change, added 10 teaspoons of disolved aquarium salt and hope fot the best!

Did you test after the water change? You should do this if you haven't and do another water change if it is still bad.

Sorry about your fish, it is tough to lose one. I hope the others make it for you.

Guest pconn

Thanks for the reply!

Well I did change the water again. Levels came down.

Ammonia - .5

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 20

PH - 7.5

Temp - 79

I wil test again this evening and probably change the water again.

Lost two more fish though and one other is not looking to healthy.

I guess the thing that upsets me the most is I have had all 5 fish in the 20 gallon tank for more than 5 years. I thought I was helping them by moving to a bigger 30 gallon tank. I guess I should have gotten a better filter like I was planning, just did not have the funds.

Live and learn???

You are right, we unfortunetly learn the hard way sometimes. Don't be too hard on yourself, we all have done things when we didn't know better.

Next time you will be more prepared for fish.

Let's hope the last one makes it.

Your water is looking better, hang in there.

Archived