My Fintall Not Himself

Guest Redeem

Guest Redeem

Hi there,

for past few days my fintall goldfish has been jumpy when he sees me, and static other times.

I've noticed a long white thread at the back of him; around the bum area I assume. Do you think that he's having toilet problems?

could be either constipated or internal problems. if you could fill in as much of the box above as you can that will help us more. :)

yes it is, and normal is short and dark or whatever the food colour may be. white and stringy is usually an internal problem such as parasites or infection.

if you could fill in as much of the box above to get a better picture then someone may know which way to treat your fish.

if you dont have any test kits then taking a sample of both your tap and tank water (labeled) to your pet store and they will do it for you.

there are quite a few that sell kits but you should go to ask.co.uk and then type in what you are looking for and this should give a few places to look at.

i found this at ebay and you could bid on this one. it has everything you need and he also has a shop you could look at.

what you are after are dropper tests that test for ammonia, nitrite,nitrate and ph. anything more is a bonus.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...3982164803&rd=1

Guest Redeem

hi,

Have purchased one that tests for Ammonia, nitrite,nitrate and ph.

Should arrive in next couple of days. I can then give you information on the water quality.

For now I will fast my fish for a few days.

Thanks for the help,

Redeem.

Guest Redeem

Been monitoring in for 2 days: He is jumpy still. He seen me and my wife and rushing around the tank, and tries to hide.

Is that symptoms of unwell?

Guest Chishower

How many gallons is the tank?

How big is the fish?

Any other fish in there?

How long have you had him?

If you havn't had him too long, he could just be nervous.

Hi Redeem - is it only when he sees you that he swims this way? Of have you observed erratic swimming on more occassions?

If he's 'flashing' - it could be due to about 3 reasons:

- too many metals in the water (which is where dechlorinator is invaluable)

- parasites

- ph fluctuations

All 3 irritate the skin which is where your test kits will help :) And just to add to Chishower's questions - how often do you do waterchanges? Do you use a dechlorinator?

In the meantime, i'd do an immediate 50% waterchange using a dechlorinator making sure you match the temperature.... if it's a water quality issue, this should help some.

So please, if you can - it'd help enormously if you'd answer as many of the questions in the white box as possible otherwise any advice you receive can't be deemed accurate.

Please post back soon :)

Guest Redeem

Hi All,

An update on Al-Pee, he's much better now.

I fasted him for a day and a half, then just feed him his pellet food.

After a week he back to himself again.

Will be testing the water at the weekend.

Archived